- The Imperial CityBreakfast is not included at our homestay here so the first order of the day is to track down some food. We tried a yogurt store we had seen last night, but the man there was just opening up and Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 7, 2017
- Strange Travelling TodayWe started the day with a bike ride over to the kayak rental place along the river, that Don had discovered yesterday. Some of it was a nice ride along a shady riverside path, with the rest being in traffic. Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 6, 2017
- Dragons, Dragons, and more DragonsWe have breakfast every morning down in the garden of the homestay. A lovely shady patio with many different trees and plants around it. This morning I ordered coffee for the first time in Vietnam. In came in this little Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 5, 2017
- Tan Chau - Thursday, 2 February 2017Up at 6 am, breakfast at 6.45 am and on the bus at 8 am for the visit to Tra Su Forest Bird Sanctuary. Phil has decided to be lazy and stay at home. About 12 of us Posted by gaddingabout in Treasures of the Mekong | Feb 4, 2017
- Visiting My Son (no relation!)We signed up for a tour to My Son, which is a very old Champa religious site. The first temples were built in the 4th century and were continuously being built until the 13th century. Apparently, every king had to Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 4, 2017
- Rainy Day Didn't Stop the FunAfter a late start, we took a taxi out to Tra Que, the vegetable village. They were having an early morning ceremony to encourage abundant crops, good weather, and prosperity for the coming year. We arrived too late to see Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 4, 2017
- Cai Be to Sa Dec - Wednesday, 1 February 2017Went to bed reasonably early last night and Phil started watching some harrowing movie called "No Escape". It was so violent and blood thirsty, which was not conducive to a peaceful night's sleep, so consequently I was still awake Posted by gaddingabout in Treasures of the Mekong | Feb 4, 2017
- Old Town Hoi AnAfter breakfast at our homestay, we set out to find a drugstore (to refill my Imodium stock) (which has worked finally!) and to visit a tailoring shop recommended by our hostess, Duy. The drugstore was easy and close to home, Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 2, 2017
- Ho Chi Minh City - Mekong Cruise - Tuesday, 31 January 2017Slightly later start this morning, as our Vesper ride around the city starts at 9.00 am. Elfi not too well this morning, so she is not coming with us. Her cold has come back and she has a Posted by gaddingabout in Treasures of the Mekong | Feb 2, 2017
- A Long, Long Train TripWe got up at 4:30 am to catch the 6:00 train. The train was very prompt and left right on the dot. Unfortunately we had seats that didn't have a good window! And the train was so busy that every Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Feb 2, 2017
- Danang, VietnamThursday started out (after doing a laundry and getting it on the line on the roof) by a walk to the first grocery store we went to in Danang, Lottemart. It's only about a 40 minute walk away, over the Posted by hermanita in Winter 2017 | Jan 31, 2017
- Ho Chi Minh City - Monday, 30 January 2017Up VERY early this morning - 5.45 am - breakfast at 6.15 am and on the bus for the two hour drive to the Cu Chi Tunnels. We had visited them 10 years ago so Phil decided to sleep Posted by gaddingabout in Treasures of the Mekong | Jan 30, 2017
- Sick in Ho Chi Minh CityWell, the silence of the last couple of days is not due to a lack of internet. We've both been under the weather with digestive issues. Got up New Year's Day and didn't feel too well. First thing I heard Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Jan 29, 2017
- Ho Chi Minh City - Sunday, 29 January 2017We had a good night's sleep and while we were at breakfast, made contact with Mao, our Cambodian guide for the next 13 days. He has a delightfully smiley face and we have bonded with him already. He Posted by gaddingabout in Treasures of the Mekong | Jan 29, 2017
- Mandalay - Bangkok - Ho Chi Minh City - Sat, 28 Jan 2017We had a great sleep last night and a big sleep in this morning. We weren't leaving for the airport unti 11.15 am, so we didn't even set the alarm.
The B Team left for Inle Lake at 7.30 am, Posted by gaddingabout in Treasures of the Mekong | Jan 28, 2017
- Chuc Mung Nam Moi! Or Happy New YearHere in Vietnam they celebrate the Chinese New Year. Today is New Year's Eve and everyone is getting ready for the new year of the Rooster. Everywhere we walked today we saw people cleaning - motorbikes, cooking utensils, windows, floors, Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Jan 27, 2017
- Hue After James and I encountered a viscous bout of food poisoning on Tuesday night and had a travel day Wednesday, which vengeful stomachs made a bit more exciting, we made it to Hue. The old capit Posted by BrianMader in Brian Mader | Jan 27, 2017
- South Vietnam and SaigonSaigon, Tet
Tomorrow is the New Year, Tet, and District 1 is decked out. Flowers everywhere, especially along Nguyen Hue Boulevard, which is one block over from where we're staying. What luck to arrive during Tet and to arrive Posted by Dharmarota in SE Asia/New Zealand/Sydney | Jan 27, 2017
- Goodbye to Cambodia, Hello VietnamWe got on a nice full size bus, with lots of legroom and even seat belts, for our trip to Ho Chi Minh City (HCM). We even had a guide who spoke English very well. He was our crossing the Posted by katdill in Adventures in SE Asia 2017 | Jan 26, 2017
- Danang continued..I'll start out this entry with pictures of Vietnamese Sticky rice cake called Bahn Chung...a square rice cake stuffed with mung beans and sometimes meat...bought them from a street vendor during yesterday's travels, will be today's lunch after steaming Posted by hermanita in Winter 2017 | Jan 25, 2017
- Hanoi -> Halong BayExplored Hanoi and went to the resting place of Ho Chi Minh. Then we went to Halong Bay. Kayaked, we went to fish farms in the middle of the bay.
[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/872 Posted by BrianMader in Brian Mader | Jan 27, 2017
- DAYS 14 - 16DAY 14
After an early breakfast - or in my case a cup of tea – we drove down the coast to our next destination, Halong Bay.
Halong Bay is a large bay with thousands of islands. Most of these are Posted by RogerLaHaye in The Asian Adventure | Jan 22, 2017
- Second week in Vietnam...I seem to have found, on Friday, the Bahn Mi sandwich that tickles my tastebuds the best to date!. The stall is not too far from the beach, so easy to stop by and pick up a picnic lunch. What Posted by hermanita in Winter 2017 | Jan 31, 2017
- Day 13We woke up in Hanoi, a city that was impressed upon my consciousness in the early 70's as the USA's Vietnam war grew closer to an end.
This visit has been a total learning experience in terms of why that Posted by RogerLaHaye in The Asian Adventure | Jan 16, 2017
- Hanoi - HaLong BayI'm writing from a bungalow located on a remote island cove in HaLong Bay. We came here yesterday, a 3-hour bus drive from Hanoi, and overnighted on our tour boat. This morning we got dropped off with a Posted by Dharmarota in SE Asia/New Zealand/Sydney | Jan 15, 2017