- Ninh Binh lakes and boatsI arrived back from sapa very early in the morning and had to walk across town back to my hostel where I had left my main bag. Walking with my small bag was so easy that I once again wished Posted by Libbytes in PhD Celebration Travel | Jul 24, 2014
- Vietnam Day 9It had been over a week in Vietnam and Justin had yet to golf – for shame!
We'd read about Tam Dao, an old French “hill station” about 1.5h outside Hanoi where there was both a fantastic golf course and Posted by Bredwardz in Bredwardz on the Road | Jul 23, 2014
- Vietnam Days 6-8Where to begin with the last few days? Let's start here: Ha Long Bay is in the Gulf of Tonkin, near the Chinese border. The bay is dotted with limestone karsts (stone islands) which rise from the sea like floating Posted by Bredwardz in Bredwardz on the Road | Jul 23, 2014
- Top Gear Comes to Life
Anyone who knows me knows I like the BBC television “Top Gear.” Although I will never be able to afford any of the cars they test drive, I love their road trips—through Africa, South Am Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 23, 2014
- Hanoi and Environs ...Yesterday we ventured from our hyper-modern hotel (located in a part of town that apparently didn't exist just a few years ago - or was essentially rural) ...
[left][/le Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 22, 2014
- Thinking about certain conversationsMy last entry was about my visit to Khe Sanh and Vin Moc. I want to return to that day because we ended our day at a restaurant where the conversation was free flowing and the questions were important. Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 21, 2014
- Dalat, Vietnam[img=http Posted by bloorsontour in Bloors on Tour | Jul 20, 2014
- From Danang to HanoiWe had to get up early this morning, to make our 8:15 flight from Danang to Hanoi. Here's the sun rising over the South China Sea (international lawyers think ... disputed waters, rocks and islands ...) at around 5:45 this Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 20, 2014
- Mui NeWe headed to a beach resort area called Mui Ne for two nights because I'm still letting my feet recover from the trekking in Cambodia. It's a very long stretch of road with sea on one side and sand dunes Posted by bloorsontour in Bloors on Tour | Jul 20, 2014
- Ho Chi Minh, Saigon, Vietnam[img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/666235/47AC Posted by bloorsontour in Bloors on Tour | Jul 20, 2014
- Hearing the "other side's" voice
After spending so much time in the 19th century, today we entered the 20th century, and specifically the years 1968 Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 19, 2014
- Outside the CityToday we headed to a village outside of Hue; it happens to be the home of our guide and friend, but I am uncomfortable mentioning her name because this village really is where historical events continue to impact the lives Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 19, 2014
- Vietnam Days 4-5With typhoon Ramassun headed straight for the coast of Vietnam, we had to scramble to adjust our plans, cancelling a trip to the coast and arranging to stay a few more days in Hanoi.
Luckily, the locals say that right Posted by Bredwardz in Bredwardz on the Road | Jul 19, 2014
- Miscellaneous...A couple more impressions ...
First, when you travel in Vietnam, you instantly become a millionaire ... 1 million Dong is about $ 50. Here's a common bill (Ho Chi Minh is one every bill):
[left][img=http://photos.travellerspoint.com/686459/large_DAE Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 18, 2014
- Danang and Hoi AnYesterday was a resort and beach day for us. It was very hot. Noa spent most of the day in the pool, with Laura or I, or with one of her by now numerous friends. The pool is very Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 18, 2014
- He Who Controls Earth and Water
Today's visit is to the Royal Tombs of Tu Doc, located in Duong Xuan Thuong village, adjacent to Hue. When planning the trip I assumed these tombs were hundreds of years old. The Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 18, 2014
- Vietnam days 1-3Upon landing in Hanoi, we were greeted by that most traditional of Vietnamese voices blasting from the speakers on our Air Asia Jet: Taylor Swift. Never getting back together Taylor?? Then why do they call it the Reunification Express Train??!!
We Posted by Bredwardz in Bredwardz on the Road | Jul 17, 2014
- Trekking in the Highlands ... and riding local style!By now we are at a beach front resort in Danang. It's beautiful here, and SOOOO HOT!!!! But .... first there's some more reporting to do about our adventures in the Da Lat area. On Tuesday, Laura and I went Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 17, 2014
- Hue: Where North and South Meet?It was with great relief and joy that Richard and I met up with a former Augustana student, Huong Ho, and our guide for Hue this week bright and early this morning. Given that Huong i Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 17, 2014
- Where we do we get our tickets?We bid a fond goodbye to our hotel in Hanoi--the Oriental Central Hotel. I think I speak for Richard too when I say that if you can stay at this hotel you should. The staff is excellent and go Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 16, 2014
- Learning to Travel AloneI do not remember the last time I traveled out alone by myself in a foreign country. Whether it was England, Ireland, Costa Rica, or Bosnia-Herzegovina I was with someone else. Today that was not possible, and the experience Posted by MJMullin in When Historical Stories Meet the Present | Jul 16, 2014
- Central Highlands - Day 1Laura and I are in France, sort of ... We are in Da Lat, 1500 meters above sea level. Chosen by the French colonials as a mountain resort, offering fresh air, cooler temperatures and lovely rolling hills. Just like France! Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 14, 2014
- Excursion to CholonWe dropped the girls and Brenda at the Airport yesterday, for their trip to Da Nang. Everybody had recovered from the mystery bug and was in good spirits. Whew! Then Laura and I had a few hours before our flight Posted by JBrunnee in Vietnam 2014 | Jul 14, 2014
- Final WordsI really don't know how to end my blog or what to say. I've always known the end was coming but to actually be here feels so crazy.
So here I am sat in Ho Chi Ming Airport, more emotional than Posted by amcara91 in Alice and Will - Around the World | Jul 13, 2014
- Vietnamese voodoo / Vietnamske voodoo
This post was written entirely by Zuzka as Tobi was too lazy to compose anything ;)
We deci Posted by zuzana.zav in Are we there yet? | Jul 13, 2014