- Hanoi: The People===Community Spirit===
Hanoi has a strong community spirit that you see in the early morning group exercises around Hoan Kiem Lake. Here are some women doing Tai Chi with swords at 6:30 AM on a week day. This was only one Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 16, 2016
- FarewellCan’t believe the first leg of the tour is over. We leave Vietnam on Thursday and head into Cambodia.
Sadly we have to say bye to a few of the group today. We had a farewell dinner last night and some Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 15, 2016
- Hanoi: The Old Quarter===The Old Quarter of Hanoi===
My hotel, Hanoi Central Park, was in the Old Quarter of Hanoi, just north of Hoan Kiem Lake. It was just the perfect place to enjoy the vibrant chaos of the narrow streets strewn with shops, Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 15, 2016
- Tuesday 15th NovemberBreakfast was simple but ok. Furniture made it difficult to get about and most crockery was the other end of the room.
We set off at 8:30 this morning, all ready for our day on the Mekong Delta river. It was Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 15, 2016
- Drinks anyone?
Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 15, 2016
- Ho chi minh city 1st day 14th NovEarly start today, up at 5 to leave the hotel at 5.30. Surprisingly refreshed to say I'd only had 4 and a half hours sleep.
We set off on the bus everyone was surprisingly cheery to say how early it Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 14, 2016
- Halong Bay===Halong Bay===
From Hanoi, Halong Bay is a 3 hour bus trip, but factor in the highway construction, the traffic and the half hour stop at the tourist trap (oh sorry, tourist emporium), it takes about 4 and a half hours. Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 13, 2016
- Sunday 13th NovemberSunday 13th November
A bit of a lay in today! Didn't have to be out til 0830.
We had opted to go on the cycle tour. Melsa and Steve joined us. We were quite pleased that it had been spitting earlier Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 13, 2016
- Saturday 12th NovemberAfter breakfast we climbed aboard our new bus and set off on the 4 hour drive to Hoi An.
Mr T, the guide, was on full form again and talked at us for the first hour of the journey.
We stopped off Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 13, 2016
- Ho Chi Minh City===Ho Chi Minh City===
Ho Chi Minh City is a big, modern, Asian city with lots of tall buildings and a horrendous traffic problem. It has lost a lot of its colonial style buildings over the years, but now is beginning Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 12, 2016
- Rickshaw RideThursday 10th November
A fairly sedate one today. After leaving the train we arrived at the hotel.
It’s a bit smarter than the previous ones. Nice swimming pool and spa and it also has a roof top bar with a view of Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 10, 2016
- Mekong Cruise, Day Seven & Eight: Vinh Long to Ho Chi Minh===Day 7===
This was our last full day on the Toum Tiou and we had a new local guide, Miss Happy, who took us to the town My Tho and the Vinh Trang Pagoda.
It was a beautiful and amazi Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 10, 2016
- Overnight TrainThursday 10th November
That was an experience! 12 hours on the overnight train to Hue. We were shepherded to cabins where we had to share. We ended up sharing a cabin with Dylan and Margo, two nice youngsters from Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 9, 2016
- Boat CrashWednesday 9th
Most of today has been spent traveling back to Hanoi from Halong Bay. We had a simple but nice breakfast on the boat. Our coach had been delayed so the guide was trying to keep us all Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 9, 2016
- Traffic ChaosBus journey to Halong Bay
Posted by colins5286 in Asian Travels | Nov 9, 2016
- Mekong Cruise, Day Six: Chau Doc to Vinh Long===Day 6===
From Chau Doc we sailed back onto the Mekong and anchored over night not far from Sa Dec. A boat came for us after breakfast with a Vietnamese guide and she took us for a walking tour around Sa Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 6, 2016
- Mekong Cruise, Day Five: Phnom Penh to Chau Doc===Day Five===
We were finally on the Mekong River, and when I woke up, the Toum Tiou had anchored at the border waiting for the Vietnamese border guard to stamp our passports and let us in. The purser had taken our Posted by tedvanrossum in Ted's Big Adventure | Nov 6, 2016
- Day Three - DowntimeBoth Mel and I needed time to recover from various ailments so we took a very low-key day out to prepare for our next stage which is Cambodia.
We did get out it the evening to a cool family run Posted by stuartcrooks72 in Vietnam & Cambodia | Nov 4, 2016
- Day Two - Night TimeSo after relaxing for a few hours back at the hotel, we decided to head back to Bui Vien to a restaurant called Royal Saigon. Trip advisor gave it the thumbs up so decided to give it a try. The Posted by stuartcrooks72 in Vietnam & Cambodia | Nov 4, 2016
- Day Two - Exploring the City - DayDay two was spent exploring the city. We had our 08:00am breakfast and then hopped the shuttle bus to the War museum. I fully recommend this to anyone interested in the Vietnam war. See pictures below of US artillery and Posted by stuartcrooks72 in Vietnam & Cambodia | Nov 3, 2016
- Day One - Ho Chi Minh City - Dinner TimeMel and I decided to play Human Frogger or Crossy Road for the younger generation tonight when venturing out to find a place to eat.
We found a great hawker center and experienced local food which included fish liver.
See photos below
Found Posted by stuartcrooks72 in Vietnam & Cambodia | Nov 1, 2016
- Day One - Ho Chi Minh City - Day SessionFlew into Ho Chi Minh City Airport at the crack of dawn on Tuesday Morning after the Flight from London. Flew into an absolute pea souper and 24deg cel at 5:30am. After disembarking and collecting our bags we met up Posted by stuartcrooks72 in Vietnam & Cambodia | Oct 31, 2016
- Halong Bay tour 3 days 2 nightsCONTACT
DAY 1: HANOI – HA LONG BAY
7.45 – 08.15: Pick up from your hotel in Hanoi. Drive to Halong City through the paddy fields in the Red River Delta Posted by Lizzie Thuong in Halong Bay of Vietnam | Oct 31, 2016
- CoffeeIt is possible to find a good coffee shop in Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos for a good 'western' style coffee but as these countries don't produce their own fresh milk the UHT milk often used leaves an aftertaste that spoils Posted by advb4dementia in Adventure before Dementia | Oct 30, 2016
- Ho Chi Minh- 3 nights/3.5 days- Ho Chi Mnh or Saigon??Overview:
After a month of traveling and transiting through airports our journey to Ho Chi Minh has been our most interesting. Just about to board and they pulled Gus to one side saying something about security and baggage check before Posted by advb4dementia in Adventure before Dementia | Oct 30, 2016