Skip Navigation

A Bit of Civilization

Community Highlights North America A Bit of Civilization

I have always wanted to stay on Mackinac Island –don't know why, just have. If I remember my family stories correctly, my Aunt Mary served in the Grand Hotel dining room one summer when she was young , maybe around 1920.
Too Grand for My Budget

Too Grand for My Budget

I had always thought the Grand Hotell was the only hotel on the entire island. At $300 a night minimum, it was out of my budget. I was surprised the island has many hotels, inns, resorts, and B&Bs. I found a very comfy B&B with special pricing that gave me a bill of a little over $300 for two nights.
My Sitting Room at the Metivier Inn

My Sitting Room at the Metivier Inn

Actually, I was very happy I had not chosen to over splurge and go to the Grand. I went there for lunch. (If you are not a guest of the hotel, you can pay $10 admission and visit the hotel and go to the buffet lunch.) Save your money and don't go in for the tour, the lunch, and the room - Unless you want to pretend you are on a cruise ship. The décor borders on ostentatious instead of grand. You are allowed to go up to the cupola bar for a view of the island – but when it is rainy and foggy, all you can see is the gull poop-spotted roof. However, for $17, you do get a nice mimosa.
Grand Grounds

Grand Grounds

The lunch was nice, but also a cruise ship buffet. About 150 lunch guests from a group tour arrived for lunch also.
The best thing about the Grand was that all the children in the dining room had very good table manners. I have to admit, however, I rather missed the camaraderie of the Windy Lake Lodge.
If you go to Mackinac, be sure and stay at least two nights. As anyplace, going for a day tour is just not worth it. You need to settle in, relax, and just enjoy the view.
At least 10 people a day stopped to take a picture of the front garden at my B&B.
Metivier Inn

Metivier Inn

Of course as you know, no automobiles (except one old ambulance) are allowed on the island. There are so many people on bikes and so many horses, that I think it would be less congested if there was a bit of auto traffic! People wander in the streets and forget to look for the bikes and horses. Most of the people haven't been on a bike for 15 years, so they wobble around and forget how to stop. It was really funny to watch.
15 Miles Around and About the Island

15 Miles Around and About the Island

For $9, I had my bike transported over on the ferry. Much wiser than paying the $5 an hour if you rent on the island. There are many routes all over the island – many are quite hilly, hard to get up, scary to go down.
Arch Rock

Arch Rock

You can easily spend one whole day just biking around, taking a little side walk here and there, and learning about the history.
I visited one more restored fort and have certainly refreshed my memory on the fur trade and the War of 1812 after this journey from Northeast Minnesota to North Michigan!
Scene Seen from the Fort

Scene Seen from the Fort

This featured blog entry was written by pscotterly from the blog On the Road in a Chevy Van.
Read comments or Subscribe

By pscotterly

Posted Wed, Sep 03, 2014 | USA | Comments