Skip Navigation

Mikkira koala sanctuary

Community Highlights Oceania Mikkira koala sanctuary

Mikkira Station outside Port Lincoln 6-7 Dec

This has been the biggest surprise since we’ve left Perth more than 3000km ago. Just outside Port Lincoln and next to the National Park there is 10km of dirt road that leads to a special koala sanctuary on Mikkira Station.

You camp anywhere you like in a Manna Gum forest. We camped near the hot shower and toilets. The gum trees that make up this forest are an anomaly in this area, thus creating a sanctuary for koalas (they eat only a small selection of the 700 different gum trees on offer in Aus). They were everywhere and not scared of us at all. We had 6 in the tree right next to our caravan. On one walk we counted 20. This was heaven to us. Kangaroos, Emus, Port Lincoln Parrots… I took so many special photos of koalas that it became quite difficult to decide which one to post on the blog. We saw a spectacular fight between two males for dominance (if you’ve not heard a koala roar, Google it!) and we saw a female with joey fend off the advances of a male. Going to bed listening to the sound of koalas roaring, was something we will never forget. This place is a must when coming to the Eyre Peninsula.

We just loved this place. Two French backpackers in a campervan were the only other people there. A billion stars and the sounds of the bush. Pure magic.

We got so close we touched one

We got so close we touched one

Walkers Rock and Elliston Area

Walkers Rock and Elliston Area

Tree bearing Galahs like fruit

Tree bearing Galahs like fruit

My mum is a ball of fur

My mum is a ball of fur

Murphy's Haystacks near Streaky Bay

Murphy's Haystacks near Streaky Bay

Mikkira Station just outside national park

Mikkira Station just outside national park

Mating rituals

Mating rituals

Huge Mural on Elliston Community Hall

Huge Mural on Elliston Community Hall

Emu with five young

Emu with five young

Differnt colouring

Differnt colouring

Coffin Bay Oyster farms

Coffin Bay Oyster farms

Climbing a Manna Gum

Climbing a Manna Gum

Checking for better leaves

Checking for better leaves

This featured blog entry was written by ChrisHenriette from the blog Our big lap around Australia in 2016.
Read comments or Subscribe

By ChrisHenriette

Posted Fri, Dec 09, 2016 | Australia | Comments