Skip Navigation

Advice needed

Travel Forums North America Advice needed

1. Posted by Foxy1991 (Budding Member 55 posts) 2y

Foxy1991 has indicated that this thread is about Visas (USA)

Hey all,

I am after a bit of advice/help with visas and the US,

Myself and my fiancee currently live in the UK and we are planning to go travelling. Our first point of call is going to be Australia, and we are in the process of sorting out or working holiday visas. We are going to stay in Australia for a year and then what we are hoping to do is to travel America.

We would like to stay in America for about a year but we would also like to work whilst we are out there, does anyone know if this is possible and if it is, what visa will allow us to do this?

Any help is appreciated,



2. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4929 posts) 2y

Effectively it's not possible. The USA doesn't have a general working holiday scheme, so you'd be competing for the same work visas as the rest of the world. Not worth it.

Consider Canada instead, which does have a working holiday visa (Do note, however: Unlike the Australian/New Zealand WHVs, this one has very limited spots each year, which are heavily in demand, and only released at the end of each calendar year. So you must be prepared for applying by early December, and jump on it when they open up.)
Then from within Canada, you could do a three month trip into the USA.

3. Posted by Foxy1991 (Budding Member 55 posts) 2y

That's awesome, thank you for the reply. Does the three month trip only allow you to visit and not work? So you can only be in America for a maximum of 3 months ? Do you know how long you have to wait before you go back? Can you get another 3 month visa whilst you are in the US and just extend it?

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4929 posts) 2y

The three months would be on a visa waiver (note: it's actually "90 days", not 3 months, and don't think for a second about overstaying by even a single day!), though you need to apply for permission beforehand, so it's only technically not a "visa". You're indeed not allowed to work, then., and there's no way to extend that.

There's no hard and fast rules for how swiftly you're allowed back in, that's up to the individual immigration officer. I do know that when I did a three month trip in 2005, and another three month trip two months later, I was allowed in only with a lot of trouble, and pre-emptively banned from the country for a year following that. Don't really know what the situation is like nowadays; security theater back then already got way too scary and bothersome for me to have any desire of returning to the USA, and from all reports, it's only gotten worse.

5. Posted by Foxy1991 (Budding Member 55 posts) 2y

What a massive pain in the behind this sounds like!! Thanks for your advice, think I will just stick to three months and a trip to Canada!