Skip Navigation

Driving in the US

Travel Forums North America Driving in the US

1. Posted by Foxy1991 (Budding Member 55 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Hey guys,

Myself and my fiancee currently live in the United Kingdom and will be leaving soon to go travelling. After a stint in Australia we are hoping to head to the USA, where we plan to rent an RV and drive around the states.

Does anyone know the requirements to do this, like minimum age, minimum years driving etc?

Any help anyone can provide would be highly appreciated,



2. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3573 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Legal age to drive is 16 in many states, but no rental company will rent to anyone under 18. Most slap a surcharge on anyone under 25 when renting. This can really add up. I have been quoted $25/day for a car. It will be that or more for an RV. As long as you have a valid drivers license, there is no minimum experience. Of course Insurance will be much more expensive if you are under 25 yrs of age. Do your research now to know what your costs are going to be.

I have helped over 20 TP members buy vehicles in Vegas. It makes sense to buy if you are here more than 2 months. Rent if you are here for less than that. Now an RV rental. I have crunched the numbers for members before and the costs are substantial. I was quoted close to $10K for a 3 month rental leaving the RV in another city. Most TP members want to start on the West coast and drop off on the East coast, or the reverse. Petrol is a real expense as well. Of course it depends on the size of the RV, but many only get around 10 mpg. At that rate, a 1,000 miles would cost you about $400 in petrol. A consideration when figuring costs.

What I suggest is to consider a minivan. Something like this. Big enough for 2 to sleep in it, easy to drive and easy on fuel. Many get 25 mpg, so a 1,000 miles would cost you about $160. Huge difference if driving coast to coast. Many out there for under $4K. Figure you will lose $500-1,000 when selling.

If you need any additional info, send me a PM.

3. Posted by Foxy1991 (Budding Member 55 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!


Thanks so much for the advice man you certainly know your stuff!!

I was concerned about the experience side of things as I know some places in Europe require you to have a certain amount of years driving experience to drive legally there.

Do you know the law when riding a motorbike?



4. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3573 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Each state makes its own laws regarding drivers license, registration, etc. In Nevada, operating a motorcycle over 50cc requires a separate license. Most take a 4 day MC class, cost is $350. If you pass the written and riding tests, you will get a MC license. DMV recognizes the class as proof of riding skills and issues you a MC license. $10. I just don't know about other states. I would guess other states are similar. You have to pass a written test and a skills test. If you bypass the class option, you schedule a test at local DMV. There is a waiting list here in Vegas. Of course you supply your own MC. If the examiner passes you, you get a MC license. You do need to have a local address. Same as when you register any vehicle. You are telling DMV this is where I live. They will send title info and DL to that address. NV does not issue a DL on the spot anymore. It comes in the mail a week or so after you pass. Your insurance company needs an address as well. You get proof of insurance as soon as you pay the fees. This allows you to register your vehicle. They will send any additional documents to that address. Hope this helps.

5. Posted by Daawgon (Travel Guru 2009 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

Remember that parking an RV in the States will not normally be free (especially in major cities). My part of the country is extremely RV-friendly as I live in the Pacific Northwest - also one of the most beautiful and uncrowded areas (Oregon).

Post 6 was removed by a moderator
7. Posted by katzgar (Inactive 220 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!

watch the movie "RV" with robin Williams first.

8. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2574 posts) 3y Star this if you like it!