Skip Navigation

Questions about applying for an American visa

Travel Forums North America Questions about applying for an American visa

1. Posted by MisterJackB (Budding Member 6 posts) 2y


I have some questions about applying for a visa which i have googled but i haven't found the information needed i am from england if that makes a difference. If anyone could help me with this i would be very grateful .

1. how would I go about getting a sponsored job as it is needed to apply for a visa?

2. what visa would be best to apply for as i want to stay in america for a year or two?

3. do you need to be able to drive to get a visa?

4 . once you a sponsored job if you lose that job will that effect the visa?

5. how long does a normal visa application take to be approved.

Again thanks for the help :)

2. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1992 posts) 2y

Sponsored job visas are H1-B visas. They are extremely hard to get--and are usually snapped up by the large consulting firms on day 1. Contact some of them to see if they want to hire you. (companies that mostly hire Indian consultants have the most). Companies like Infosys, Cognizant, etc.

Just so you know, here's what is really going on--and why someone in the UK will have a really hard time finding a job.

If you want to try and come here for the summer you would have a better chance. There are separate visas for that.

Here is the website for visa information:

3. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2477 posts) 2y

Bottom line... unless you have a specific/unique marketable skill a long term Work Visa is really, really hard to get. In fact your chances are basically zero.


4. Posted by MisterJackB (Budding Member 6 posts) 2y

are there any other visa which allows you to work/travel for a year as i would want to be able to travel around?

5. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2477 posts) 2y

Do you have a marketable skill?

Are you eligible for a Working Holiday Visa to Canada, Australia, etc?


[ Edit: Edited on 15-May-2014, at 08:29 by CheersT ]

6. Posted by MisterJackB (Budding Member 6 posts) 2y

well I work in advertising for marks and spencer if you know what that is, so thats the only skill that I can think of that would be classed as a marketable skill.

I have thought about both as they are easier to get visas for but because my girlfriend is from America and i have always wanted to travel america, I thought I would try get the visa for america.

7. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2477 posts) 2y

Sorry, the Work Visa for the US isn't going to happen. Advertising experience is meaningless.


8. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1992 posts) 2y

Well, obviously Marks and Spencer is a really well-known company, even here in the US, but staying here for more than 3 months at a time is really, really difficult. You could see if your company wanted to send you here on assignment for a few weeks at a time--which is quite possible (I did this for an American company where I would go to Wales every six months for 2-3 weeks at a time). However, you would have to leave and then return at least every 3 months at a minimum--and I doubt that you would be able to stay that long unless there was some special project going on.

Another option is to see if there might be a retail fashion marketing firm (think The Gap or E-Bay or Wayfair) that might want to sponsor you. They might have just a few H-1B visas available, or they might want to bring you here for a year or so for training.

In either case, you wouldn't have a real long time for vacationing, but your weekends would be free--and you could visit local areas in each locale you visit. (I also did something similar to this by living in LA growing up and visiting all over, then living in Utah for four years, and visiting areas around there, then living in Maryland for four years and visiting the east coast areas, then living in Seattle in Washington for six months before finally settling in northern California near San Francisco). Of course, I was born here, so I never had to worry about a visa.

The last option is, of course, to come here and fall in love with someone and get married. Then you can stay here permanently, but even that may require years to get your permanent status card, and getting permission to work in the meantime can be a hassle. Also, you having already posted that you want to come here for a long time (without already being in love with an American) when they review your application for permanent resident status will be a gigantic red flag.

Best of luck.

9. Posted by MisterJackB (Budding Member 6 posts) 2y

Thanks for the help, i have been looking at a J-1 visa. I have more that information I need to research about it, but it looks like it might be my only way. There are au pair jobs and I have worked with kids for a few years now so i hopefully will be able to travel this way.

I am actually dating a girl who i have fallen in love with and she is america however i'm not sure that marriage is on the card just yet.

again thanks for the help.