Hey there! New to these forums, thought I'd create an account and say hello. I'll be heading all through SE Asia and Japan this summer - Japan, Thailand and Vietnam being the focal points. Anyone have any recommendations or tips? I enjoy staying active and being engrossed in nature, along with the occasional sit down at a beach or pub.
Furthermore, I'm big on meeting friends all around the world; any other solo travelers planning on being in Vietnam in mid to late July?
You did not mention how long you would spend in each country here, but I guess it is impossible to cover all of each country in a summer. I have been to Vietnam and Thailand recently and here are my suggestions:
1) Bangkok - Must-go for shopping, food, and mix of culture (The Grand Palace), floating market etc. It has many night markets like Khao San, and malls like MBK, Paragon etc.
2) Krabi - This is not as developed as Phuket, with beautiful seas, islands and rocky cliffs. Ao Nang Beach has a pier with boats going to surrounding islands like Ko Phi Phi. You can also go for Emerald Pool, white water rafting and snorkelling.
3) Chiang Mai - Cooler climate than the South, friendly Thais, cheap and delicious Thai food. You can ride an elephant at one of the elephant rescue centre, take a bamboo raft down river, white water rafting, shop at Chiang Mai Night Bazaar.
4) Phuket - Patong beach is where the party and drinking are. Lovely white sand beach - very crowded most of time. You can do some souvenir shopping there, and the prices here are more expensive as it is more touristy too.
1) Ha Long Bay in Hanoi is a must-go! Cooling weather and beautiful scenery. You can do a day trip but its a 4 hr ride from Hanoi city. I like the quaint Old Quarters too.
2) If you are into culture/history, you can go Ho Chi Minh and visit the War Remnant Museum, Cu Chi Tunnels.
We also went on Meekong Delta tour but I won't recommend it as there was nothing much to see.
Hope this helps.
in the North there are some famous place to go such as Sa Pa.
if you go to ha Long, can spend time to Co To island for 3 days. this island is so peaceful and stunning place.
besides, if you would like a brand-new tour you can choose Ha Giang, Ba Be lake, Ban Gioc waterfall. you can search some tours of -snip- for reference.
i think you shouldn't miss Da Nang, Nha Trang also with nice weather and beautiful beaches.
Hoi An is a suggestion of culture and festival
[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. ]