Skip Navigation


Travel Forums General Talk Suggestions?

  • 1
  • 2

Last Post

1. Posted by Danny1 (Budding Member 8 posts) 2y

Basically jus wanted a few ideas really . I'm 28 , I have a job that I can literally pick up and leave as I like!!
No debt ,no responsibility , nothing to come back for really, i done 6 months travelling se Asia , America and Australia when I was 21,I had a WHV in aus but only stayed bout 6 weeks so bit of a waist !!
Not fussy on a destination really , preferably like to go somewhere where I can kinda settle and jus earn enough money to survive .
I feel like I'm in quite a lucky position and jus wanted to know wat somebody else would do if they were in my position ???
Any replies/suggestions/advice. Greatly appreciated


[ Edit: Edited on 25-Jun-2014, at 15:00 by Danny1 ]

2. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 2y

"... Not fussy on a destination really , preferably like to go somewhere where I can kinda settle and jus earn enough money to survive..."

That all depends on what skills you have and whether you can apply for a Work Visa...

Good luck.


3. Posted by Danny1 (Budding Member 8 posts) 2y

Cheers for the reply terry, got experience on building sites/electrical, but wasn't really lookin to do electrical work tbh!
Works not essential jus thought it be handy! Jus wanted a few ideas on destinations really ! Cheers

4. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 2y

Well, it's a terribly general question that has as many answers as people who answer, but if it was me I'd go somewhere cheap and easy... SE Asia or Central/South America has loads of spots where long-term stays are inexpensive and not boring.

Good luck with your research.


5. Posted by KellieBarnes (Travel Guru 813 posts) 2y

Know exactly what you mean and that completely open-ended feeling. I'm guessing you might be UK based (?) but that is one country I've looked into, as well as the various smaller European countries that don't have a lot of limits for Aussies :)

Do you want to completely settle in one location i.e. with a skilled work visa or similar? Or would you be ok with moving every ~6 months and staying on the road?

In any case, I found a list of Australian visa agreements through Google that I was going to trawl through.

Oh scratch that, you're 28. Get a working holiday visa anywhere that will take you

6. Posted by Danny1 (Budding Member 8 posts) 2y

Hello kellie,don't really mind not completely settling or leaving every 6 months, probably prefer the latter tbh. I wonder if u could tell me how I would go about getting a WHV for aus considering I already had one for about 6weeks like I said before?
Yea I'm from London by the way;)
Cheers D

7. Posted by KellieBarnes (Travel Guru 813 posts) 2y

Unfortunately you can't get another WHV for Australia. It really is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity — unless of course you had done the 3 months of specified work in a regional area....

8. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 2y

Consider a WHV in New Zealand instead. Similar culture, far superior landscapes.

9. Posted by Danny1 (Budding Member 8 posts) 2y

Thanks for your replies, never mind should of made the most of it wen I was there!
Sander, interested in NZ now tho ! Never thought of it before , jus bit concerned bout my age now tho coz I'm almost 29 and it looks like the WHV is for 18-30 ! Do u think I could apply wen I'm 30 or do u have to be under ? And also I read somewhere that they let some countries go till 35 ? Do u happen to know wat countries they would be?

10. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4938 posts) 2y

Yes, the regular WHV (which I linked to above), you can apply to until the day before you turn 31 (though better not cut it quite that close), so still plenty of time. (If you're from the UK, you could stay as long as 23 months, with the only additional requirement a medical checkup - and of course, you can take a full year from the date the WHV has been granted to travel there, so could theoretically wait until 2 days before you turn 32, and then stay until you're almost 34.)

If you're from the UK or Ireland (no other country has this as far as I know), they also have a separate WHV scheme through Bunac (IEP Work Exchange Visa), which is available up through age 35 (so the day before you turn 36). This has limited availability, and costs quite a bit more (so better to get the regular WHV while you can), but is entirely separate from the regular WHV, so you could even do both.

[ Edit: Edited on 28-Jun-2014, at 09:45 by Sander ]