Rome is exciting and a wealth of history but be ware the traps.
1. Copy all travel documents and vouchers therefore having proof you have paid for 3 nights ect because one scam is that you will be forced to pay for your last night again in cash or police will be called.
2. Dont buy water from street sellers. The bottles are not sealed and are filled from fountains. Not safe
3. The tourist card is not worth it. Most places are free anyway and others have such long ques that you probably dont end up going in anyway.
4. Hop on hop off for several days is cheapest way to see nearly everything but buy tickets from staff wearing company badges at any of the main stops or it may be fake.
5. Keep a menu till check arrives and check prices. You will be ripped off. Eg charged for bread you refused .. refuse the bread if you wont eat it because its not free. Nor is it free to sit down to eat or drink. Prices vary from 4€to 6€ per person to per item. Costly. Eg. 1 pizza, 1 pasta, 1 soft drink and 1 beer cost us 45€ ($65) and we were still hungry.
6.sightsee before lunch. After lunch is too crowded
7. Be careful with beat the que tickets. Everybody has them therefore there is a que.
8. If there are buskers or musicicians be prepared to fork out money.if you photograph them or even pretend to listen they will demand money. Or chase you...be careful
9. Wear your bag over your neck and shoulder and keep it in front of you. Everyone is a target of pickpockets. Watch your bags carefully too. Dont let them out of your sight.
10. If you have any problems like card skimmed, money missing or bags lost. File a police report because insurance companies and banks favour this and settle claims quickly.