Skip Navigation

visa help

Travel Forums Asia visa help

1. Posted by rackylou (Budding Member 27 posts) 2y

I have looked online and keep reading conflicting information about visas so I wondered if someone could please help.
I am wanting to enter Thailand by plane and stay for about a week and then go to Vietnam and Cambodia for 2 months but then re enter Thailand to get my flight back. I have heard of the new visa rules trying to stop people leaving and entering and doing visa runs. Obviously mine wouldn't be a visa run but would I still be able to enter to get the flight back, or even spend another couple of weeks in Thailand?
I am so confused.
Any help would be gratefully received.
I am from the Uk and I don't think I have time to get a visa as I have to get a visa for Vietnam.

Rach x

2. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 2y

Have you read the info on theThai Embassy website for UK citizens? It's very straightforward.

Fly into Thailand and receive your 30 day Tourist Visa... leave and visit Vietnam and Cambodia... return to Thailand (at I assume a land border entry) and receive another Tourist Visa good for 15 days...


3. Posted by rackylou (Budding Member 27 posts) 2y

Cool, thank you.

I thought wih the new restrictions coming next month that I wouldn't be able to re enter Thailand without a visa all sorted before hand.


4. Posted by vegasmike6 (Travel Guru 3562 posts) 2y

I suggest you fly to HAN on Air Asia after your time in Tland. Then work your way South to HCMC via train or bus. Train is safer of course, bus is cheaper, more convenient. Or combo of both. Your decision. You can use the 'visa on arrival' system VN has in place if you fly in. My blog talks about my experience using the VOA system. Cambodia will sell you a 30 day visa at any land border or airport. Bus from HCMC to Phnom Penh, work your way up to Siem Reap, one long day overland or fly Air Asia back to BKK. You will get another 30 day entry permit if via air, 15 days if you cross via land border.

The Thai Immigration officials are trying to stop foreigners from working in Tland w/o a proper work permit. Many have been using the visa run system to stay in Tland for years. In August the new rules will kick, but you should have no problem. You will only have one 30 day stamp in your passport. Tland wants tourists like you Rach, they are trying to stamp out the long stayers that have been taking advantage of their lax visa rules. Good luck with your planning.

5. Posted by HappyHipster (Budding Member 4 posts) 2y

You will have no problems at all.

You fly to Thailand and get your 30 day exempt stamp, when you come back to Thailand by air or land, you get another 30 day visa exempt stamp. The land crossing rules are already in effect and the new rules starting Aug 12 are specifically for airport visa runs.

The new rules are just to stop people that have been living here for years or are working here.

Of course, this is Thailand and the rules could change again in the next 2 weeks.

6. Posted by karazyal (Travel Guru 1730 posts) 2y

"I am wanting to enter Thailand by plane and stay for about a week and then go to Vietnam and Cambodia for 2 months but then re enter Thailand to get my flight back."

I don't want to throw any sand in your gearbox - but!!!!

How do you intend to visit Vietnam or Cambodia from Thailand? By land or with a flight out of Bangkok or somewhere in Thailand?

Will you be flying into Bangkok with a round trip ticket or on a one way flight and buy another one way flight home later on? (Round trip flights are usually cheaper than buying 2 one way flights.) Your airline back in your own country may require proof of onward travel within the free 30 day period. (Or they may not!)

You are supposed to have proof of onward travel from Bangkok to get the free Visa Exemption. Usually this is a plane ticket to the next country. You could purchase a cheap plane ticket out of Bangkok or another city for proof of onward travel.

Like the previous posts mentions, everything can change again in the near future.