i am kinda new here - so hello everybody. uhm... me and my friend are planning 4th month trip to Asia (Bejing/Hong-Kong/Bangkok/Singapura/Kuala-Lumpur - and then maybe to Australia and New Zealand. can i ask you about some advices (things that i could not take from any guide) about living and travelling there (particulary i would like to hear from u about Thailand)
While in Malaysia, don't forget to visit Pulau Perhentian, easily one of the nicest islands in the region. Accommodation is real cheap and scuba diving is fantastic (and cheap). With the USD is so weak, making Malaysia so much more affordable now. If you want to read something interesting about the island (that you will not find in any guide books) or to find out more about scuba diving, visit www.alualudivers.com You can ask your questions there.
Depends on how long you want to stay in Thailand, and what part of Thailand you want to travel to. Basically, Thailand is a good bargain for tourists. It has many temples, nice beaches, plenty of hookers (stay away, unless you want AIDS), and all the bargains you want.
1) Don't buy Thai's items from the duty free shops at the airport. A silk tie cost 3 dollars downtown BangKok costs $30 at duty free shop in the airport.
2) Bargain, bargain, bargain..... I even bargain for the hotel room, sometimes.
3) Bargain w/ taxi driver (before you get in), if they pretend to tell you that their meter is broken.
4) Sukumvit street is a great place to buy cheap souvenir ( there are plenty other markets, too)
5) Sometimes, it is cheaper to hire a taxi driver to take your party go sight seeing than taking organized tours. The way to do this is get brochure at the hotel concerning tours. Ask a taxi driver, how much he makes in a day,and hire him for the whole day or half a day - ofcourse, I always gave more than his daily wage.
Two things in SE Asia... just quick tips... Always negotiate the cab price before you get in... and NEVER run a bar tab... You could be very unpleasantly surprised at the end of the night to find you were drinking 20 dollar beers.