I'm coming to Myanmar about 3 weeks from now and wondering whether there are travelers who can help me out about few details below.
1. I'll reach Yangon by plane;
How to get to the backpacker area to find a hostel/guesthouse?
Is taxi only the option? As I'm in tight budget, am thinking for something like a shared minivan like I had in Hanoi airport or maybe a public airport bus, are they available?
2. I'll take a night bus from Yangon to Bagan and scheduled to arrive at 4AM;
I read the bus will stop near to Nyang-U, the backpacker area.. shall I wait until the sun rises and where to do that?
Or if it's walking distance to hostels, can I go there directly? I assume the locals are still sleeping..
3. From Bagan to Mandalay, I'll take a night bus again, it's scheduled to arrive at 1:30AM;
What do you recommend, shall I wait at the bus terminal or where does the bus drop us later?
How shall I go to the backpacker area to find a hostel?
Thanks a lot, awaiting for your kind responses.
I don't recall any type of shared van or bus being available from Yangon airport - it's much less geared towards travellers than Hanoi airport (although it's a few years since I've been so things could have improved). Myanmar is cheap though so a taxi shouldn't set you back too much.
I did similar trip in Feb this year (arriving in Yangon. Overnight bus from Yangon to Bagan. Then another bus to Mandalay. And onto Inle lake and then back again to Yangon - all by bus!)
1. We took the taxi from Yangon airport to our hotel - I don't think it was very expensive, we negotiated with the driver (but I can't remember how much we paid! sorry)
2. Yes, the bus stops at Nyang-U. -snip-
3. I remember Mandalay bus terminal was quite chaotic, I think you should organize the accommodation prior....
Hope this helps!!! We LOVED Myanmar - people were so friendly, such a beautiful place.
Moderator comment: please see Forum Rules
[ Edit: Sorry, no promos please. Link to Forum Rules added. ]
Thank you, Bex
I should try finding another traveler that perhaps want to share the taxi.
Nice blog! Tripping for a year, wow, it must be sooo unforgettable!
Did you make it to Indonesia as well?
Thank you for sharing your blog about Myanmar.
It does help me a lot. I'll think about arriving Bagan in the afternoon instead on wee hour