Skip Navigation

Visa and accommodation in china

Travel Forums Asia Visa and accommodation in china

1. Posted by Alfran (First Time Poster 1 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

We are planning a one year long trip, which will start in Europe. We are planning to go to Hong Kong early October 2015 and are wondering whether we could obtain our visas there for mainland China. Every application we have seen for China shows that you need to show your round trip and proof of accommodation. However, lots of travellers are saying that the stayed at hostals. How were you able to get your visas? Was your itinerary just fairly vague? How did travellers obtain more than 30 days visas? We're the renewed in Hong Kong?
Any guidance on this would really be appreciated.
Thank you

2. Posted by Borisborough (Moderator 714 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

We spent two weeks in China in July. I've no idea about applying for you visa in Hong Kong; we did ours here in Auckland. We also had to have proof of accommodation. We booked hostels on because there is no deposit to pay there and you can cancel easily without penalty. We used these hostels to apply for our visas and then, once we had obtained our visas, re-arranged and cancelled some of the hostels we had booked. However we had also booked train tickets before we applied for the visas so our itinerary was fairly well set.

Enjoy China - planning it all yourself is part of the travel experience. :)

3. Posted by Kennyqin (Inactive 1 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!


This is Mr. Kenny in Guangzhou, China. As a Chinese I know that for visa application you should submit the necessary round-trip ticket and accommodation email information to the Chinese embassy or consulate in your country, but not an authority in Hong Kong, remember just in your country.

I work as sourcing agent and tour guide in China, feel free to contact me if need my assistance. Please see my email at profile.

4. Posted by berner256 (Moderator 840 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

As of last November, Americans can apply for 10-year multiple-entry visas.

5. Posted by jeanie99 (Full Member 155 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

To be honest it's always best to ask Visa questions to the individual country embassies, the people on this site are very informative but to be safe check as above.
Entry requirements are based on a persons Nationality and sometime a persons Visa history is also taken into account.
When I traveled round the world for 12 months I checked out the Visa entry requirements for all the countries I was traveling to and where I could buy on route.

Visas are usually not for more than 30 days unless it's a working Visa or student Visa which is a whole different piece of cake.
Single entry multiply entry and some are for say 10 years, mine to the states is a 10 year Visa.
You can buy them at airports, borders, ports of entry and by post pre trip.
Some countries will not allow you in without a Visa which should be bought before you travel and there is no way round this so don't think border control will take pity on you they won't.

Some can be post dated some are from date of issue make sure you understand which you need.
Don't overstay, don't carry drugs or certain foods,(check this out).
Have a great time

6. Posted by jeanie99 (Full Member 155 posts) 2y Star this if you like it!

China is a great country to travel in, we have been there twice once to do the touristy things, great wall, Beijing, shanghai, Terracotta Warriors, etc. Wonderful wonderful. You will not have any problem with people understanding English.
The second time we traveled the southern coastline from Vietnam buying our Visa from a travel agent, Southern China is a whole different trip with few people speaking English even the menus where in Chinese.
We found the young people eager to help us using their translation apps to speak to us. We absolutely love China but you need to be up for the challenge of a very different language which you cannot read. We stayed with a Hospitality club member for a few days on our entry which was fabulous, he was a head teacher and took some time off to take us round the area.
We made our way from city to city by sleeper coach and train to Shanghai staying a few days and then took the overnight train to Hong Kong. Buy train tickets from the station it's cheaper same with bus and coach tickets. Accommodation wide we stayed at Home Inn and the receptionist wrote our next hotel name in Chinese for the taxi driver. None of the drivers speak English I would advice to book your accommodation in advance and ask the receptionist at the hotel you are staying to write the name and address in Chinese so the taxi or bus will know where you are wanting to go.
We had a round the world ticket so it may be best if you don't have this to purchase a flight out before you enter China.
So much to see in China enjoy