Hey. I'm 24 from Manchester. Looking at travelling South East Asia then onto Australia around March time. At the moment I'm looking at going alone as none of my friends can come. I feel so excited about getting out there & seeing the big wide world but being alone scares me a little.. So a buddy would be awesome! If anyone has any advice or tips I would be really greatful ??
I'm dianne from Ireland I'm thinking of going to Australia in March i'm going alone also, a bit scary but exciting travelling alone. I was meant to go a few months ago but I had to postpone for a while. When are you planning on being in Australia for? Do you have any plan for when you get to Australia?
- there's absolutely nothing to be nervous or scared about. Every country has built up huge infrastructure to cater for back packers and tourists. It's a well trodden path.
- don't worry too much about meeting people and finding a travel buddy before you leave. Hostels are full of like-minded people. Whether you are a culture/nature head or just want a drinking buddy. Thousands of people are boarding planes now, right now, from all corners of the world to go and explore SEA.
- more advice. (Now I've started) don't use travel agents or experts. I'm speaking from experience and will play on any insecurities you have regarded any country just to make a sale. I was told Myanmar was difficult to travel and not really open to tourists yet. I was told the only way to see the country properly was to book a package deal with all transport and accomodation included. Bullshit. Just to make a sale. The only location I've had issues with is Kalimantan but I was there in low season when my day trips were closed down waiting for high season
- Book one night at a time of your going to use booking apps on tablet / smart phone. Most hostels will easily accommodate you for extra nights if needed. And if the accomodation is. It what you expected you have no obligation to stay and/or pay extra nights you don't want.
- most ( if not all hostels, B&Bs) will help you with day trips and forward travel. They are experts on not only their area but accommodating travellers on a budget. Their knowledge is invaluable.
- I would stay away from pre-pay accomodation websites like Agoda. Agoda is fucking awful and has no customer care at all. In Laos I was staying in 8usd a night hostel and for Christmas I wanted to treat myself to something a little better. I booked 3 nights in 50usd a night guesthouse. Highly rated on tripadvisor. Booked with Agoda, and it was atrocious. Dirty. No free water, dirty shower, no wifi. No English speaking owner or workforce. No workforce. And I was stuck & 150 lighter than I should of been. Hence my one night rule from then on.
- Don't be suckered in by pretty websites (often companies owned by westerners ) offering the perfect package for usually 3 or 4 times the price it should be. These companies have to pay the salaries of Europeans/ Australians so your not getting a "better deal" your just paying a mortgage or two in Australia.
- tripadvispr is great for accomodation and day trips. But is secondary to hostel owner advice. Only once it has done me wrong (for mentioned Laos experience)
- basic street smarts. Smile at locals, it goes a long way. Bring a pad lock, not all hostels have them. An emergency credit card ( with 0% foreign transaction fee) is a good idea. Halifax offer one called the "clarity card" I think. I've used this extensively and paid it off as I went.
- as anywhere in the world. If something appears to be to good to be true. It often is!
Apologies for the long post, bored having breakfast in Borneo. Waiting for a bus to the airport!
I'll be arriving in Australia in March too. Landing in Perth and making my way over to the East and up the Coast most likely but no plans set in stone. Solo travel is a great way to go - you meet so many more cool people that way; I've done it several times before and loved it
Are you guys getting WHVs or just traveling??
Hey Dianne & OJ!!! I'm looking at starting off my travels in Thailand around March time.. I'm just going to go with the flow. As I mentioned I want to travel South East Asia then onto Australia but I don't know when ill be arriving there. It would be great to meet up.. Maybe you can show me the ropes as no doubt you'll be pro's by then. I am looking at getting WHV in Australia, I do have family over there who ill be meeting up with on arrival. Its all very exciting. Please feel free to add me on facebook I would love to chat more.. Lisa Baldwin.
Oh & Will you are like a backpackers angel. Thankyou for your advice you are Awesome!! x
Hi Lisa! If your going to travel to southeast asia, don't forget to include my country Philippines! There's a lot of beautiful beaches here and I suggest you visit Vigan City in Ilocos Sur. Its one of the new 7 wonder cities in the world! Btw, I just came from Seoul and I really had a great time there. If you need my advice with other countries here in Asia, just ask me. I've been to a lot of places here.