I've been looking into them. My problem is that my trip is too long (10 months starting in september 2005) to be able to buy all my tickets right now. Have you guys had this problem before - where you had to buy some portions of the trip now and other portions later? I just want to be able to fly from New York to Bangkok and then come June 2006 I need to fly to Cyprus before coming back to New York in July 2006. I'm afraid it will end up costing more buying it in portions. Anybody have any experience having to buy tickets like this?
I've never heard of 10 months being too long for ticket validity.... this is usually very doable. A year or over gets a bit more tricky. It might be expensive though, since i can imagine that the leg bangkok-cyprus is not an often flown one!
There's quite a few people that swear by only buying single legs as they go. I am not one of them, but then again, I've never tried either! The main reason for this is flexibility though, I don't think it's usual if you already know your route and when you want to be in the different places.
Where did you check about these tickets? I'd recommend an 'offline' travel agent, since it's not going to be a standard route and it will involve some 'gruntwork'
ps. alternatively, you might consider a round trip to BKK, via London and just buy the return london - cyprus as an extra...?
ps. alternatively, you might consider a round trip to BKK, via London and just buy the return london - cyprus as an extra...?[/quote]
that's a good idea. i'll check that out.
the problem is that apparently you can't buy fares now for june of 2006 yet. afterall it is over a year away i guess.
i used the traveller's point round the world travel tools to check out prices and routes and submitted it to airtreks.
they are now recommending i get a one-way from new york to bangkok and then when the other fares become available i can get a bangkok-cyprus-new york ticket.
they are estimating the bangkok-cyprus-new york leg of it to be US$986-1183. This sounds pretty reasonable considering it is an unusual route. I'd be fine with this price if i can find a cheap one way to bangkok (US $500-600 or so).
Does anybody know how good airtreks estimates are? is there a chance that in a few months they could be way off and i wont be able to afford the second leg of the trip?
Ah, now I get what you mean !
Yes, I see that that could be a problem. Is waiting till June/July an option at all? Airtreks have been around for a while and there are several bookings every month through Travellerspoint. I've never heard a complaint so I assume they are ok
The big issue here could be oil prices. If this really goes up, I could see a price being off by a bit. On the other hand, BKK to NY would be a pretty standard route, so there will be quite a bit of competition on this route making the price have some limits on how much it can go up....
It's a tough call really. Some airlines offer 1.5 year tickets now, but they are generally rare and usually only for students. Have you checked with some place like STA on that?
If budget is the problem, why don't you look into flying from Bangkok - Cairo/Athens and then get a return ferry trip to Cyprus (Limassol) from either of these and then fly on to New York, or alternatively just get a return flight from Cairo/Athens to Larnaca or Paphos. This might save you some money. Just an idea, not sure how feasible it would be.
sorry, just meant to empahasise that you'd fly on to New York after returning to Cairo/Athens from Cyprus.
STA also says that they can't sell me tickets that far into 2006 (June and July) yet. I don't know if it is just that the route (bangkok-cyprus-NY) isn't a typical one or what.
the ferries are a good idea too dave. Maybe I'll check and see if the estimates look any better for stopping in Cairo or Athens and just hope those estimates hold up.
Most likely though i'll get the one-way to Bangkok and figure out the rest from Thailand.
Those ferries can't cost much right dave?
Who have you guys used to get your multi-stop tickets? Were you happy with them? Any surprises with the prices?
I've actually only once done a real multistop trip, but it was with Air New Zealand and it was a year and a half ticket so I am afraid I have never personally run into this situation
Can you get them to put something on paper regarding the ticket price? I assume you can already book it in 2 or 3 months, so I can't really imagine prices could change that much in that period really