Skip Navigation

Travel to usa with criminal record?

Travel Forums North America Travel to usa with criminal record?

1. Posted by bobbed12 (Budding Member 3 posts) 31w

Im going on my honeymoon to Vegas next month but i havnt declared that i have a criminal record. I payed a women for sex 12 years ago. Im terrifed im not sure what to do. Will i be able to get in?

2. Posted by Peter (Admin 5789 posts) 31w

Have a look at this thread. This is a pretty well-covered topic on this forum. A bit of reading should give you all the information you can get.

3. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2423 posts) 31w

As usual with most immigration/visa questions on this forum you fail to mention the single most important piece of info: Your nationality.

Also, where did the crime take place? What was the penalty?


4. Posted by bobbed12 (Budding Member 3 posts) 31w

Im from the UK and the crime happened 12 years ago. I was interviewed and then charged and i got a £250 fine for soliciting a women for prostitution.

The evidence ive read says the us immigration have no details from scanned passports of individuals criminal records. So im very confused reading this forum as some are saying they have travelled to the US with a criminal record and ticked no on the ESTA form and they sailed through immiragtion. Then theres some people on here saying you will definately get caught. How can i get caught if us immigration doesnt have access to uk criminal records.

Can someone please help what should i do.

5. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2423 posts) 31w

As of this moment the US and UK do not share "normal" criminal databases. So you can wipe the whole affair from your memory banks and forget it ever happened. Countless UKers enter the US with minor criminal records with zero issues.

That said, nothing is ever guaranteed... there's always a very small chance that there could be a snag.

Too bad you didn't do the paperwork on this years ago, with only one conviction and no jail time a waiver would have been rubber stamped with no issues whatsoever.

Good luck.


6. Posted by bobbed12 (Budding Member 3 posts) 29w

Thanks for the info. But id also like to know what info is shared when your fingerprints are scanned at US passport control.

7. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1989 posts) 26w

Due to the recent terrorist activities in Paris Turkey, and Belgium, I would ask that comments about data sharing of info between the US and other countries not be discussed on this forum at this time.

Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.

[ Edit: clarity ]

8. Posted by OldPro (Respected Member 219 posts) 26w

Lying to a border agent is never a good idea no matter how many people get away with it. It isn't about other people, it's about you. Some people can lie without blinking an eye and other people break out in a cold sweat, act nervous, etc. Border agents deal with this every single day and like anyone who has become good at their job over a period of time, they can often pick out the person who has something to hide.

It doesn't matter if records aren't shared. All an agent has to do is SUSPECT you are hiding something and that is enough for you to be denied entry. Add to that, that almost everyone when questioned closely gives themselves away eventually. Are you a hardened career criminal who won't break down under questioning?

So the question is, would your conviction mean you would be refused entry to the USA if you admitted to it. If the answer to that is yes, then you need to consider whether you wish to risk lying, knowing what the outcome MIGHT be.

Being convicted of a crime has consequences and trying to ignore them or 'get around them' is to me a sign that the lesson was not learned the first time. 'I made a foolish mistake and got caught. I think I will make another foolish mistake involving a criminal act and hope I don't get caught.' Yup, that's a wise idea.

There are legal ways to enter the USA with a criminal conviction in your past. Those are the ways you should enter. You may even be allowed to enter under the VWP or you may need to apply for a B2 visitors visa. The way to do that is to arrange it BEFORE you book flights to somewhere.

9. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1989 posts) 26w

Well said, "OldPro"