Skip Navigation

Canada Visa Help

Travel Forums North America Canada Visa Help

1. Posted by TomK (Full Member 66 posts) 11y

Hi, I am hoping someone out there may be able to help me, or point me in the right direction.

I am a UK citizen currently in Australia on a WHV. Since being out here I have met a Canadian girl. After returning to the UK in December I plan to head out to Canada in January and am wondering what visa options maybe open to me. Ideally I would like to get a visa which enables me to work, but looking at things that may be difficult!

I am 24 years old and not a student and have not recently been one so the student visa is out the window!

Any help would be much apprichated.


2. Posted by Cupcake (Travel Guru 8468 posts) 11y

Hello Tom!
It sounds difficult, but not impossible...I found a few things...
Hope they help!
Good Luck to you! :)

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4895 posts) 11y

Canada has Working Holiday Visas as well:

It looks to be harder to get into than the Australian one though, with an awful lot of hand-holding. The linked to website says that applications for 2005 are closed, and you can't apply for 2006 until December.
I hope things'll work out.

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4895 posts) 11y

Oh, and these are all the youth-programs available:

5. Posted by tway (Travel Guru 7273 posts) 11y

Hi Tom,

My b/f is from Belfast, and he's been here in Canada on a student visa since September (it's a limited visa, though, which stipulates he can only teach for the year he's here). I realize you're not a student, but these might help point you in the right direction:

Citizenship and Immigration Canada

Good luck!


6. Posted by TomK (Full Member 66 posts) 11y

Thanks for all your help people!

Keep your fingers crossed for me!

One way or another I will definately be in Canada in January!

7. Posted by xxpacerxx (Full Member 76 posts) 11y

Hi Tom,

hope you're enjoying Australia its a beautiful place!

So Canadian visa's! well Tom, to work in canada you need a work permit these are very difficult to obtain.

Bunac which is primarily a student company offers places to students and non-students to work and live in Canada unfortunately the non-student intake has passed but may well come back on offer before Jan.

To obtain a work permit you first need a job offer which has been approved by the HRSDC in Canada, so if your girlfriend has friends/relatives that own businesses this may be the only way around it. The company has to send off a confirmation letter saying that you have a job, start date and finish date of the position. The company then has to prove that there is no egilible canadians for the post. If HRSDC are happy that there are no canadians to fill the job then the Canadian High Commision in the UK will call you and ask you to submit an application for a visa, at the cost of $150. This is still no set in stone!!!u might not get it!

This is a long process so you might want to start looking into it.

good luck mate, remember the United Kingdom Visa for foreign nationals is easy to obtain and they get 2 yrs maybe a thought for the bird.


8. Posted by TomK (Full Member 66 posts) 11y

Thanks Andy!

I am thinking at the moment to get a holiday visa to start with, get over there and looking for a job. I will have money to support myself initally, but obviously in the long term I need a job! But I figure it will be easier to try and get myself a job if I am over there!
I have a fairly good trade and a good CV with good experience in the UK, so I am keeping my fingers crossed!