Not to get into a discussion of whether zoos are good or bad places. But rather I'd like to know which zoo, or zoos, that you've visited have been your Favorite?
My top 3 are:
1) San Diego Zoo (used to live there and was a member so I could go as much as I wanted).
2) Singapore Zoo (Great Zoo, was especially impressed with the Giant Komoto Dragons, Full grown ones).
3) Melborne Zoo (like the Snow Leopards best, its the only place I've even seen these beautiful animals)
singapore is impressive - they have as well two animal shows (with elephants and snakes).
remember swimming polar bears behind huge glass wall
I love the San Diego Zoo! That would have to be my top choice, The Milwaukee Zoo is nice, but in the last few years they have really gone down hill The Detroit Zoo was an awesome Zoo (20 years AGO!) Now it is a pit. For a 'little' Zoo, the John Ball Park Zoo near Grand Rapids is great!
Mr. Isa here (Mr TP Mum)
Love animals and zoos.
1) San Diego Zoo---Greatest zoo I've ever seen. Huge variety, great enclosures, little pricey, but hey....(I also lived in SD for several years--just took Mrs Isa there last year and had to see the zoo again)
2) Lincoln Park Zoo (Chicago USA)--Pretty good zoo, plenty of new enclosures, and it's FREE---just walk around at will.
3) Brookfield Zoo (also Chicago USA)---not bad all around, easy walking. Getting pricier.
4) Mrs Isa---Milwaukee Zoo (Milwaukee USA)--been a few years, but was nice in general.
5) Shedd Aquarium (Chicago USA)--One of the finest aquariums in the world. New exhibits adding every year. Beluga whale exhibit looks out over Lake Michigan with a stunning view.
6) The Living Seas, Epcot Center, Disneyworld USA---Yow. And if you're a diver, you can dive in their million gallon tank (with sharks even!!) Or, dine in the restaurant in front of the same tank. Watch out for the Mickey Mouse shaped butters though...
Africa kind of ruined me for zoos... but the SiRacha Tiger Zoo in Pattaya, Thailand is pretty cool. Heaps of beautiful tigers, there were cubs when I was there & your allowed to hold them & get photo's etc. You can also feed chickens to crocodiles here!
mrs isa's house zoo i here thats fantastic and has 1 or 2 wild species (also known as kris and mother g hahaha)
Mr Isa here...
Damn my memory,,,, I forgot the Arizona Sonora Desert Museum (Tucson Arizona USA)---One of the all time classics for desert animals. Used to go there all the time as a kid, even for school outings. Favorites were the vampire bats...had to shine a built-in flashlight to see the little bloodsuckers, but way cool. Snakes, lizards, javelinas (desert wild pigs), scorpions, you name it.
Fiona--live or dead chickens? And from behind a fence? Or are you practicing to be the next Crocodile Hunter?
Reece--Yes, we live in a zoo. 30-odd cats (not all inside!! ), 3 fish, 3 deceased dogs (well, not IN the house), 1 deceased goat (again, NOT in the house), and a multitude of songbirds (also, not in the house), and of course, US. You'll see.
Dead Chickens.. you stand on a bridge and dangle the chicken from a fish rod & the croc comes up out of the water to snatch it, scares the sh*t out of you
the SiRacha Tiger Zoo in Pattaya, Thailand is pretty cool. Heaps of beautiful tigers, there were cubs when I was there & your allowed to hold them & get photo's etc. You can also feed chickens to crocodiles here!
Wow, I'll have to remember this one. TIGERS are my favorite animal, I'd love to hold a Tiger Cub! (did you do it?, and get a pic taken?).
In the Singapore zoo, I got my picture taken with 5 Orangatangs and a seperate pic with 2 Chimps (one was a youngster who took great delight in pulling my boxer underwear from under my shorts ).