First a destination: Andalusia, which undoubtably is the centre of the planet and no life is complete without a visit there. Just avoid fuckin Torremolinosland plus similar traps and off you go to multidimensional travel. Flights from the UK can be found at local bus prices.
Second is to travel on horseback without poofy helmets.
Third in line are the mulatas from the caribbean, Spain's only real contribution to Latin America.
Fourth is the Alhambra in Granada, because is the kind of palace YOU would construct for yourself.
Fifth is the village where I live, one hundred inhabitants of twenty different nationalities, politics obsolete since Franco's death, pure functional anarchy, but I don't want more visitors here, nothing personal.
1. River rafting/trekking in Nepal - fabulous! and very cheap. paid $125 for an entire week - but do not drink the water without pumping it through a ceramic water filter first ...even the bottled water is suspect. I overstayed my visa without any problems, drank the water from the hotel's water bottle store near the end of the trip. big problems
2. Approach every country as an adventure. You're having fun, not comparing to home.
3. Never underestimate the power of body language - you can get your point across in every country if you are willing to look silly and act out what you want when the language fails
4. Women beware in Africa. Even if you traveled oodles of times by yourself or with your female friends, in Africa you will have problems if without a male escort. Middle East is safer!
5. If you want to travel, just go. You'll meet people along the way. If you wait until your best buds have the money, time, etc. to go, you may never go.
- spend a couple of nights at Wild Side Backpackers - along the garden route (Leaving Cape Town by car, getting close to Mossel Bay).
- Bungee from Vic Falls-Zambia bridge when the river is full - touch the water!
- Trekking in Anapurna and Zanziskar-Ladak.
- spend the carnival in NE of Brazil - specially Salvador!
- arriving in Machu Picchu before sunrise!
suggestion: let's say the 5 worst things as well...
Your Dream,Youth Hostel,Eat local food,Plan and Enjoy yourself.
I do not agee with Dgerads post on Africa.Dont discourage the females from coming to enjoy all the beautiful things in Africa