Skip Navigation

Photographic Release forms

Travel Forums Travel Photography Photographic Release forms

1. Posted by Pardus (Respected Member 2356 posts) 11y

Is anybody taking pictures on their travels and then selling them?

How do you deal with the issue of getting Property/Model Release forms signed by the people?

I know that most buyers won't buy pictures if you don't have the proper forms signed, but how about if you don't speak the language?

How strict are the laws on this, does anybody know? I think it would be interesting for people who think about getting their pics into a stock library or sell them directly to be aware of the necessities to get a release form.

Cheers for your help.

2. Posted by Cupcake (Travel Guru 8468 posts) 11y

I couldn't find much...but here it is ;)
Actual release forms

I have never asked for release, but I thought if your photo is taken one can claim rights?

3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4936 posts) 11y

Quoting CupCake

I have never asked for release, but I thought if your photo is taken one can claim rights?

At least in the Netherlands there's something called "portrait right." - You have the right over your own appearance being used, so if you're recognizably present in a photograph, and the "main" subject, that photograph can't be 'used' publicly without your permission.

As far as stock photography sites go - I think the rule of thumb is if the face is recognizable, you MUST have a model release, or the photograph will be rejected - except if it's "editorial" / newsworthy (the regular crying children after a bomb blast etc photos appearing in newspapers).

Take a look at Alamy's Release Guidelines.

4. Posted by georgep (Respected Member 201 posts) 11y

Rules varry from place to place. But if you want to sell your work then you need the form.

Specialy if you work with stockagents then you can't live without them. Most of my agents want the release for (digital copy) with the picture when i send it to them.

And of course it could be difficult to get your forms signed.

But yeah that is the risk you take. For instance my agent in new zealand was more then happy with my India photo's without the releases but my US agent didn't accept them.


5. Posted by Rraven (Travel Guru 5924 posts) 11y

As they say it varies from agency to agency, there in an agency in the UK that only insists on the forms if the people are easilt recognisable in the centre of picture. I have seen photos accepted without the form even though the person was the main focus (they were standing to the right of the centre). To be on the safe side you should try to get the photos signed, most people will sign them even if they don't understand, somtimes if you offer them some money

Post 6 was removed by a moderator