Me and my girlfriend are planning a trip to Canada this August. We are starting off in Vanvouver, doing the West Coast Trail, and have plans to move East to the Canadian Rocky Mountains. We'd like to do a couple of trekkings over there, and fly back after a month from Calgary. Can you help us with the following questions:
1. What cheap and/ or beautiful means of transport should we use to go from Vancouver to Jasper? (plane, train, bus, renting a car?)
2. What means of transport is available in the National Parks (Jasper, Mt Robson) to drop us off at the starting point of a trail, and pick us up at the finish of that trail a few days later? (bus, train, taxi, maybe a bus or van serviced by hostel or camping?)
3. What means of transport can we take from the National parks to Calgary?
4. Do you have any tips about camping sites in Jasper and Mt Robson national park?
If you can help us out, we'd be really thankful!
Cheers, Tjard & Hanneke
I asked a couple of friends of mine to help out on this one (since I was clueless )
And this is what they sent me..
From one- for questions 1 & 3
1. Train from Van to Jasper is the BEST way to go. Very scenic and I
hear the most AWESOME(ist) way. Very expensive though. I would do it
in a heart beat. Driving is second best I think so you can stop along
3. Which National park? Jasper to Calgary or Banff to Calgary? I
would suggest driving. Jasper to Calgary is like 4 hours and Banff to
Calgary is like 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.
From the other-
Ithink flying WESTJET would be WAY cheaper than the train. Try http://www.westjet.com - well, you'd have to fly to Calgary or someplace in BC I guess since there are no airports in Jasper....
Hope this helps a bit!
Thanks a lot Cupcake! This is really helping us! We did send some mails hoping for a detailed answer. Do you have some links to bus services in Jasper or Mt Robson? Or do you know where we can find that?
Again, Thanks a lot!
Tjard & Hanneke