Skip Navigation

Entry to the US??? Need Visa or that crap???

Travel Forums North America Entry to the US??? Need Visa or that crap???

1. Posted by Kingwindle (Respected Member 302 posts) 11y

Hi, just a quick question that anyone will be able to answer in 2 secs i reckon, before i ask the Brit Embassy.
I am completing my 6 month trip around South Ameica and Mexico in the States. I will be flying to the US from Cancun, into New York and staying with a friend that has a permanant address.
I am a full British Citizen, with a new machine readable passport and like 9 years left on it, but I will be flying in with a one way ticket.
The question is, to enter the US, with all these new VISA rules and security balls blah blah blah, do i need an outgoing ticket for my return to the United Kingdom?? I mean, will they refuse me entry if i come in wihtout an outgoig ticket??

Thanks for any help,


2. Posted by Cupcake (Travel Guru 8468 posts) 11y

No, your safe:)
Have fun!!

3. Posted by UK (Budding Member 33 posts) 11y


Please be carefull. The US embassy site london states the following :-

Citizens of the following countries: ............... and the United Kingdom may travel visa free under the Visa Waiver Program if they meet ALL of the following requirements:

• The traveler is a citizen of one of the countries named above, traveling on a valid, individual machine readable passport. • Traveling for business, pleasure or transit only;

• Staying in the United States for 90 days or less;

Plus, if entering the United States by air or sea is,

Holding a return or onward ticket. If traveling on an electronic ticket, a copy of the itinerary must be carried for presentation to U.S. immigration at the port of entry. Note: Travelers with onward tickets terminating in Mexico, Canada, Bermuda or the Caribbean Islands must be legal permanent residents of these areas;

I'm not sure why CupCake is so certain you will be OK


4. Posted by Kingwindle (Respected Member 302 posts) 11y

Hey, UK sounds like I am going to need an onwad ticket then to the UK before I enter the US. Thats a bit annoying cos if i wanna go somewhere if i have a bit of money left on me and i wanna stay longer i will be tied down by this silly outgoing ticket i will have to fly out on!

5. Posted by Cupcake (Travel Guru 8468 posts) 11y

I am sorry.. I read your post too quickly..I worked on the Mexico/Arizona did NOT need one. When I saw Mexico in your post, I was assuming travel by land. My sincere apologies.

6. Posted by Travel100 (Travel Guru 1556 posts) 11y

I guess you do need it, but I've also read this same requiremnet for entry to many countries. Countries that I have traveled too. In all my travels, I've NEVER been asked to produce proff that I had an onward ticket (even though it was clearly listed as a requirement).

I think it will have something to do with how you look. The stereotype "long haired, dirty, backpacking hippy" may be asked to show his ticket onward. But I've certainly traveled A LOT and NEVER been asked to show this.

7. Posted by Travel100 (Travel Guru 1556 posts) 11y

You could always say that you travel plans are to travel through the USA, cross the border into Mexico, and then travel through Central America.

Why would you have an onward ticket if you were leaving by land?