Skip Navigation


Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific TAX FILE NUMBER

1. Posted by DONNA OZ (Budding Member 26 posts) 11y

hey guys its jus a query about the tax file number that you need before you start work down under. i was wondering if you are able to apply for it before you leave as it would make life alot easier if you could. thanks for your help..x

2. Posted by AlexT (Respected Member 245 posts) 11y

umm, I am pretty sure you can't as you will need to provide proof of identity documents in original form at some stage... for more information you should check out the tax office website...

3. Posted by butafly (Budding Member 51 posts) 11y

Hi Donna,

it is probably possible (I just received mine and applied for it online - didn't have to show ID anywhere), you just have to keep in mind that you need an Australian address that they can send it to...


4. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 11y

Hi Donna, its actually illegal to do so unless you are in Australia already. And you need to have the appropriate visa to do so. Once you arrive just apply online at You will immediately receive a reference number that is proof of application thus allowing you to work immediately. As for an address. They will need to post the tax number somewhere, or, you can ring after about 14 days and they will give you the number over the phone provided you can answer certain questions such as PP number etc.


5. Posted by DONNA OZ (Budding Member 26 posts) 11y