Skip Navigation

Need help Big time.

Travel Forums General Talk Need help Big time.

1. Posted by pors996 (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

This has to be one of the worst days of my life. My girlfriend and I have had a vacation planned to the Four Season's in Punta Mita for quite some time. I am a United States citizen and have a valid passport. She is a permanant resident alien of Cuba and has lived in the United states since she was little. Long story short upon arrival to Fort Lauderdale airport they told us that her permanant resident alien card was not enough and they required a valid passport for her to travel to Mexico. This is some new law that went into effect the past 6 months. The problem is her passport is expired and, in all the research I have been doing online suggest it takes 30 to 60 days to obtain a new one. I have prepaid the hotel and airfire and most of it is non refundable. Do we have any options? Is there any rush service in to get a Cuban passport within 24 hours like you can if you are united states citizen? Hopefully someone can shed some light on this. Thanks

2. Posted by wouterrr (Travel Guru 3379 posts) 11y

That's a f***** up situation.....
Is it maybe possible to get a passport for a short period at the Cuban embassy? I know from people who lost/got stolen their passport and could get a new one at their embassy in thet particular country. However this was only for a short period. They had to apply for a new one when arriving home.

3. Posted by pors996 (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

Are you talking about teh Cuban Embassy in South Florida? How long would that take if so?

4. Posted by wouterrr (Travel Guru 3379 posts) 11y

Yeah I guess you need an Cuban embassy or consolate (is there no one in the city where you take off). Don't know how long, sorry

5. Posted by Brendan (Respected Member 1824 posts) 11y

most countries can issue passports in 48 hours for a fee. Usually a large fee.

6. Posted by pors996 (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

Here is the update. I spoke with immigration in Mexico and they said a resident alien card is all they need. I also spoke with immigration in the US and they confirmed that all they need is the valid resdent alien card as well. The problem is that that will not put it in writing which is what the airlines want. What should I do?