Before I start, I know some of this info may have been given in previous threads, but the information i'm looking for is quite specific so please be understanding.
- I'm a 19 y.o male living in Sydney, Australia and would be travelling to South America for the first time.
- I will most likely be travelling alone, so i'd want to meet a lot of people on the way.
- I'm more into partying than lazing around on the beach, but wouldn't mind a bit of both.
- I'd love to see some sights, but i'm mainly looking to have a good time.
- I'm not on an extremely tight budget, but i'm not loaded either.
- I don't speak Spanish (maybe I can learn a bit before I leave)
I'll have some time off University between 29th November 2005 and 27th February 2006, and during that time i'm looking to spend 4-5 weeks in South America. But I have a couple of questions:
1. During the aforementioned period, which dates are the best to go as far as activity and weather is concerned?
2. I have been advised to start off in Santiago, Chile and travel overland through Cordoba (Argentina) and then through to Buenos Aires. I'd be hoping to stay in Buenos Aires for about 4 days. Then I was told to fly from Buenos Aires to La Paz (Bolivia) and take a paid tour (lasting around 21 days) through Cuzco, Machu Picchu (Inca Trail Trek), Lima, which would probably conclude my trip. Is this a decent itinery given the info I gave above? Maybe someone can suggest something better?
3. Will I have difficulty getting around and interacting with locals if I don't speak Spanish?
4. I've heard that South America as a whole is very dangerous, particularly if you go by yourself. Is there much truth in this?
5. Has anyone been on a similar holiday alone? Did you have fun despite that fact that you didn't have friends with you?
Thanks in advance - any advice would be greatly appreciated.