Skip Navigation

Mexico to Canada

Travel Forums North America Mexico to Canada

1. Posted by cirquel (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y


I have a friend who is planning to travel from Mexico to Canada, but we have no idea where to start planning. Beyond getting a passport and VISA, are there other particular regulations he must undergo?

Sorry... I'm just clueless.

2. Posted by Q' (Travel Guru 1987 posts) 11y

The Canadian passport is accepted at quite a lot of borders. I can't think of any other regulations that apply if you're just going to Mexico. Unless of course you are planning to work in any of the countries outside of Canada or are bringing across any restricted items.

Mostly you need to figure out where you are going to stay, what transportation will you be using, how much money you are going to spend, what places are you going to visit....

3. Posted by Q' (Travel Guru 1987 posts) 11y

BTW - I liked the movie.

4. Posted by cirquel (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

Actually, I meant that he is travelling from Mexico to Canada -- not the other way around. : )

5. Posted by cirquel (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

...and thank you. Hehe.

6. Posted by Q' (Travel Guru 1987 posts) 11y

Right, my eyes are going fuzzy from working all day....I would assume the Mexican/Canadian governments will have all the details for travelling to Canada. Both countries being in North America there shouldn't be too many regulations. I'd suggest he make a visit to the Canadian embassy once he gets his passport and ask them for instructions.

7. Posted by Calcruzer (Moderator 1992 posts) 11y

Once your friend is across the border--that's it as far as regulations--though if you come up some interstate highways there are secondary checkpoints to pass through (for example on I-5 there is a secondary checkpoint about 30 miles north of San Diego). Other than that, just make sure you have gas money, and book your motels ahead of time.


8. Posted by leeann (Budding Member 17 posts) 11y

As a Canadian you are almost always given 180 days in Mexico upon arrival, so you should not have trouble with that, and i am not sure exactly how much you get in the states. Make sure when you land you just kindly ask for 180 days. (ciento ochenta dias, they usually speak a bit of english). Good luck sounds like a great idea, and the bus system frm city to city in Mexico is GREAT. I told it for my first time, in the middle of the night as a single Canadian female. And well through the states there havegreyhound. And I am not sure if you know but you can buy a greyhound pass, that allows you to travel by ground hound for how ever long you buy it, so for two months or three, depending on your trip. check into thae greyhound pass, I have not used one but I have friends that did, and greyhound goes into Tiaquna so thats might be a way to connect Mex with the states.