Skip Navigation

Proving address on return home

Travel Forums General Talk Proving address on return home

1. Posted by stabilos (First Time Poster 1 posts) 11y

We are selling up and going travelling for 1 maybe 2 years. When (if) we return to the UK we will not have a fixed abode. How do you overcome the fact that you can no longer prove your address. You have no utility bills, council tax, etc. ???

2. Posted by Sam I Am (Admin 5588 posts) 11y

I assume when you move back you'll be finding a place to live pretty quickly? In that case it shouldn't matter too much as you'll have a rental agreement or purchasing contract. Alternatively, use someone in the family's house.

For what kind of things do you need to prove you have a fixed abode actually?

3. Posted by james (Travel Guru 4138 posts) 11y

Can you not use the address of your parents/relatives or friends for things like mail, etc?

4. Posted by BeckyR (Full Member 174 posts) 11y


As Sam asks, Why do you need to prove address on return?

You will still be registered with the same GP, and if not you have your NHS number so will have no problems in accessing primary care services.

If you need to access benefits etc, then obviosuly you will need an address but that will be wherever you reside on your return. The actual benefits will be dependent upon your NI number which you have already.

I am assuming you will still have your bank account, and of course you will have your passport . . .so i wouldn't worry!