Skip Navigation

If you have own abn no, can you work more than 3 mths in Oz?

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific If you have own abn no, can you work more than 3 mths in Oz?

1. Posted by chopperman (Budding Member 2 posts) 11y


Have a good job that I'd like to stay in for more than 3 months. Am i alowed to get my own abn number and start a business as sole trader, and work more than 3 months at that place?

Thank you guys!


2. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 11y

If you're on a working holiday visa - no. In fact if you aren't an Australian citizen or do not have a specific type of permanent visa you can't. As a sole trader non-Australian you'd need a specific business visa that has many conditions attached.

3. Posted by chopperman (Budding Member 2 posts) 11y


Thanks for answer!

That is strange... My girlfriend started in a marketing company as a sales person. They aplied for her ABN number and she got that with no problem. They said that it was no problem for her to work for more than 3 months as she was self employed. That is why I ask If I can do it as well, and they can hire me as a contractor...

Best regards

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4894 posts) 11y

Getting an ABN number and working as a sole trader for more than three months total is indeed allowed and no problem. I've done it. Sole traders aren't considered to work for themselves - they work "as sole traders" for different companies, each of which allows up to three months of work.

Working for just a single company for more than three months is however not allowed, no matter how you go about it. So despite being a contractor, if the work you do is for the same company as you worked for before, that is strictly against the rules, and if immigration finds out, you'll be deported.

I'm not certain about your girlfriend. She either broke the rules and got away with it, or as a sales person worked for different companies, just being under the umbrella of the marketing company, which is allowed. (Same as you can work for a temp agency for a year, just as long as they send you to different companies for periods of no longer than three months.)

I think what immigration looks at with the three month rule is the location that work takes place at. You clearly stated "at that place" and so wouldn't be allowed to do that.

5. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 11y

Its not strange that people do it. I know people who do it. Why they do it considering the amount of money they earn I do not know....actually, yes I do: People usually do it to avoid paying tax; they then skip the country before having to submit end of year records. BEWARE OF THE DREADED OZ TAX MAN - he travels the globe hunting down tax dodgers.

Anyway, as I previously said: you can't contract or otherwise for one organisation for more than three months on a WHV. If, as a sole trader, you do - say, 6-months, you become an employee, not a sole trader.

Good luck all the same.

All I can say to those who do avoid tax (and I'm not suggesting you or Sander do) is that as a hardworking self-employed businessman who pays a lot of taxes in this wonderful country - I HOPE YOU GET CAUGHT AND DEPORTED AND ARE NEVER ALLOWED BACK.

6. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4894 posts) 11y

Heh, I had quite some problems getting the information on how much exactly I had to pay - along with the actual piece of paper with the stupid barcode, so I could - on time to be able to pay before I left the country.
Felt weird walking into the post office on my last day there and just giving them $3000. Let's hope they'll build some nice roads with it or something. :)