Skip Navigation

I have an Impaired :( NEED INFO PLEASE.

Travel Forums North America I have an Impaired :( NEED INFO PLEASE.

1. Posted by herman14 (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

I am from Red Deer, Alberta, Canada. I was recently charged with a DUI in May of 2005. I am planning on going to mexico with some friends for a week in April of '06. Our departure flight stops in seattle to change flights on the first day. Our Return flight home stops in L.A. and we are staying there for a night until our flight home to calgary the next morning. I am wondering if anyone would have any information on the restrictions regarding me leaving the country and entering the united states and going to mexico and whatnot as a result of me having a DUI on my record. This would be very much appreciated as i was not given any information on this issue when i was scentenced for my impaired.

2. Posted by friscokid (Full Member 122 posts) 11y

since your not driving -- you'll be ok

3. Posted by herman14 (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

I am concerned because i have heard from several people that i will only be able to visit certain countries according to their different policies about DUI's and criminal records and whatnot. I have also heard from a few people that i cant even leave canada for a certain number of years because of my DUI and that i have to wait a certain number of years until i can apply for a pardon.

i am confused about the whole situation and would like some facts. if anyone who knows about this kind of stuff could let me know, it would mean so much. i feel like a jerk because i shouldnt have been drinking and driving in the first place.

4. Posted by GregW (Travel Guru 2635 posts) 11y

The best way to get advice on this sort of thing is to contact the US Embassy in Canada and ask. Second best would be to consult a lawyer. Third best is to read the travel report on the United States posted by Canadian consular affairs, which says:

If you have a criminal record, no matter how minor or how long ago the offence, you may be refused entry to the United States. There may also be problems in travelling through U.S. airport facilities. A pardon for an offence issued by Canadian authorities is not recognized under U.S. law, for purposes of entry into the United States. If you have a criminal record, you should contact one of the U.S. Department of Homeland Security's Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) ports of entry well in advance of travel to the United States. If you are ineligible to enter the United States, you may apply for a waiver of ineligibility. This will involve completing Form I-192, "Advance Permission to Enter the United States." There is a fee and it may take several months to process your application. Waiver application forms are available from any port of entry to the United States, any pre-clearance site in Canada, the U.S. Embassy in Ottawa, or one of the U.S. consulates in Canada.

Best of luck,

5. Posted by herman14 (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y


6. Posted by maeved (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y

I have a similiar question. I recently moved to Brunei and have a friend from Alberta, Canada who wishes to visit me here. We also plan to go to Thailand. Does anyone know how I can find out whether he will have trouble leaving Canada or entering either Brunei or Thailand? He gets his license back in October and we hope to travel in December. Thanks.