Skip Navigation

Tax File Number

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Tax File Number

1. Posted by jax_07 (Full Member 76 posts) 11y

Hey Everyone

I have a Holiday Working Visa for Oz and believe I now need to open a Bank Account and get Tax File Number? Is this correct?

Is yes, where is best to go? I've found a place where I can apply for my TFN online ( But there seems to be lots of different places to apply for a Bank Account. Are they all much the same or are there Banks who offer accounts specifically for Backpackers?

Any help would be greatley appreciated!

Many Thanks


2. Posted by Flyin_Kiwi (Budding Member 13 posts) 11y

Hey Jax,

THIS link should help you with what you need to know.



3. Posted by AlexT (Respected Member 245 posts) 11y

You do need a tax file number to work over here but I think you have to be in the country before you can apply (not sure if you are)... The ATO is the place to do it so your on track there. Once you have applied for one you can legally work...

I have heard anz bank has an account that has minimal fees so you might wanna check out

also check out other major banks:

your best bet is to just shop around and read all the fine print...

4. Posted by jax_07 (Full Member 76 posts) 11y

Hey Guys

Thanks for your help with this. I really appreciate it.

Bye for now