Hey im going travelling next year and in this space of time i will be in Sydney for 3-5 days.
Could anyone could help me out PLEASE! jsut to give me advise how i could spend my time there - what to see where to go where not to go, anythign possible will be most appreciated
I spent about a week in Sydney and by that point i was just getting into things and felt that there was so much more to see.
I personally LOVED Circular Quay-just to go and sit over by the opera house on a warm day listening to music-depends what floats your boat really!
From Circular Quay i caught a ferry to Taronga zoo-the views of Circular Quay area are absolutely gorgeous from there-and it's so cheap, to catch the ferry and get into the zoo it was about £20!
Side bar-below wakeup hostel is a good place and just around the corner is Scubar-i heard a lot about this but only went there for a lil while, it seemed pretty good tho-apparantly that's where all the locals go.
You could also:
- Go to a beach (depending on the weather, I guess :D). You can get buses to the Eastern Suburbs beaches from Central Station , or buses to the Northern Suburbs Beaches from Wynard station. You can also get a Ferry up to Manly Beach from Circular Quay.
- Check out the Bondi Markets (Sundays) or Glebe Markets (Saturdays), or the Night Markets in Chinatown (Friday Nights)
- Take a day trip up to the Blue Mountains - Trains run from Central Station.
- Have a walk through the Botanic Gardens, and just hang around the Harbour in general. You could visit Darling Harbour or Luna Park. If you're here through December/January/February, you could see a movie at the Moonlight Cinema in Centennial Park.
- In terms of nightlife, there's usually a fair bit happening. It might be good to pick up some of the street press available for free from Record Shops and Newsagents (Drum Media, Brag and 3D world spring to mind) to find out what's on while you are here. Alternatively, you could look up Spraci.net or Faster Louder (can't remember the URL) online and check there.
There's also been a lot of festivals lately, so keep an eye out for Homebake, The Big Day Out, Newtown Festival, and various others which I can't remember the names of right now but they're usually very well advertised.
whens the big day out???? ive always wanted to go to that see bands like grinspoon and j5
The Big Day Out is on during January/February - check out http://www.bigdayout.com/ for the exact dates. Sydney usually has it on the Australia Day Long Weekend (26th ish) , but is notorious for selling out very quickly. This year it has already pretty much, but the organisers are releasing 500 tickets a week through the website, so you could still get one if you'll be there then. It's probably not a bad idea to consider going in one of the other cities it is on (Melbourne, Auckland etc) if you're there, as it might be a bit less crowded.
If you want to see Local Bands like Grinspoon, Homebake is good -> http://www.homebake.com.au. It's held in late November/Early December, in the Domain in Sydney. Also, the Cockatoo Island festival or the Come Together Festival (http://www.cometogether.com.au/), assuming they run next year, have a bit of a local focus. Hope that helps!
cheers mate ne festivals around april may timeish?
The Cockatoo Island Festival and the first Come Together festival were held around then this year, so if they run in 2006 you might be in luck?
The Mardi Gra and Good Vibrations are (I think) in February as well.
I have just come back from sydney and only had 3 days there. Im saving to go back.
You should do the bridge climb it is def worth the money and you get fantastic 360 views over the harbour. maybe take a ferry to manley or just chill out close to the opera house.
there is a good irish bar on york street and a really cool bar called cruz bar opposite the opera house.
have a great time... im jelous!