Skip Navigation

Want to move to Europe - but where?

Travel Forums Europe Want to move to Europe - but where?

1. Posted by Teal (Budding Member 2 posts) 11y

I am a US citizen, and a university graduate, age 23. I want to move to Europe. The problem is that it seems so hard for US citizens to get work permits in several European countries. Are there any that are a bit easier to get a work permit in, that I don't have to go through a company to get one? I work for a mortgage company that only does business in the US and Mexico, so I can't ask them.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

2. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 11y

hey there
Im American too and finally got out! I moved to scotland 16 months ago as a student on a Masters degree. Thats one way to do it! Im finsihing my MSC in january and have since got hired to a job. Once u are here you can make contacts. And scotland has a program called -"Fresh Talent initiative" that gives 2 year visas to non EUs who qualify for the program. You must complete a degree in a Scottish university first. So you may think about that.

But it took me about 5 years to finally find away out of the USA.Its REALLY hard. Try BUNAC as well - they have a website. Theres also MANY Posts on this topic in the TP site, so search the site for further info.

good luck!

3. Posted by Teal (Budding Member 2 posts) 11y

But the prob is I'm not sure I want to get back into school. My university GPA is not too good, because I was trying to work 40 hours a week and go to school full time my first two years of college. I'm sure no grad school would accept me, nor would a university.

4. Posted by maridod (Full Member 114 posts) 11y


I am not sure if you are interested, but you could go to the UK on a Worling holidaymakers visa. This visa allows you to work in the UK for up to a year. The purpose of the visa is not really to go and work, but to travel. Point being, once you are living in the UK you could make contacts as suggested earlier and possibly find a compnay that would be willing and able to sponsor a full work permit. I have never tried this but it might be worth your time to look into. Good luck on your search.


5. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 11y

aye the working holiday visas are not always easy to get, they have strict requirements. Try working at a pub then? Under the table work is easy to find.

6. Posted by MerB (Full Member 147 posts) 11y

Also once you are in a country you can find someone to marry (romance or arrangement). Or just get a girl pregnant the father of a little citizen gets automatic residence in most countries.
Expensive solutions perhaps??

7. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 11y

so does that mean i can have a child in France, Germany and Russia - for example, and have residency is all countries?

8. Posted by gagnon (Budding Member 27 posts) 11y

Sounds like you're taking the long way to get citizenship in the UK!

Post 9 was removed by a moderator