Skip Navigation

Aussie vehicles...

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Aussie vehicles...

1. Posted by drdrjones (Full Member 18 posts) 11y


Travellers Auto Barn states...

Q: Do I need a special license?

A: You may travel with a valid international drivers license, or any full, valid license from your country of residence. A translation of your national drivers license may be required.

That just seems a little too simple, that I can drive in Oz without having to obtain anything or fill anything out. I'm not complaining, as it makes life simple... it just seems too easy?

ALSO - If I have a vehicle there to double up as accomodation, am I legally allowed to pull up on the side of a road and sleep anywhere?



2. Posted by ozintro (Full Member 56 posts) 11y

it is that easy to drive with your license from home.

with regards to sleeping anywhere in your vehicle.. it depends on which state you're in.
for example, it's legal in western australia. but illegal in queensland. ($130 fine)
just you use common sense. if you're tired and need to pull off the road to sleep you'll be fine. but if you pull up next to the beach at byron bay and set up camp you might get fined.

3. Posted by jn2 (Budding Member 9 posts) 11y

Someone told me you have to be 25+ years old to drive in Oz. He could have been talking rubbish, as he didnt even know how old an aussie had to be to learn to drive

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4940 posts) 11y

Quoting jn2

Someone told me you have to be 25+ years old to drive in Oz.

What was meant was probably that rental companies won't let you rent unless you're at least 25 (or will add a hefty surcharge if you're younger). That's something that happens almost everywhere in the world though.