Skip Navigation

Working in England

Travel Forums Europe Working in England

1. Posted by sashalynn (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

I live in the US. My best friend is English and her family has invited me to stay with her for 6 months, but I want to work while I'm there. I don't want them to support me. I am a college grad. So, I an not eligible for BUNAC.

Is my only choice to find a company to sponsor me before I arrive? If so, any advice on how to find such a company? All job sites state that you have to have a work permit/visa to apply.

Any advice would be very helpful!! Thanks!!

2. Posted by sashalynn (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

Can I enter the country.. find a job.. then go to France or something and apply for Visa or work permit?

3. Posted by maridod (Full Member 114 posts) 11y

How long ago did you graduate? I was under the impression that you could still go through BUNAC or similar companies if you graduated no more than 6 months ago. If that is not an option...what is your degree in? There are loads of American based law firms in the UK. Sometimes they are willing to sponsor a work visa, but it is pretty dificult. Good luck with your search!!
-Grace Marie

4. Posted by sashalynn (Budding Member 3 posts) 11y

I graduated 2 years ago with a degree in Marketing.

5. Posted by MerB (Full Member 147 posts) 11y

What about under-the-table work? I.e. at a pub, or perhaps through someone your host family knows?

6. Posted by maridod (Full Member 114 posts) 11y

Hmm...damn I realize why you said you weren't elgible. As far as the illegal work goes...from what I have heard it is about as hard as doing illegal work in the may be easy to find but it is usually shady and can become a problem. If you were trying to live in another country it would be way easier to work illegally. Anyway, you might want to try some international,, and just type in marketing jobs in the UK on might get some hits. Good luck with your search!! Hopefully you can find something.

-Grace Marie