Hi again Techie Folk,
I've just updated my blog (http://andyandshack.travellerspoint.com) and for some reason the formatting has gone awry; the top half of the page is just blank space!
I deleted, recreated and resubmitted the blog entry just in case, but the same thing happened again.
Any ideas as to how I can restore normality to my blog?
Thanks once again,
Hey Andy, it looks fine to me. Is it still the case, and if so, what browser are you on?? That'll help in figuring out what caused this!
thanks for the quick response. I actually typed up my last blog entry on an ancient Windows 98 box running IE 6.0.2800.1106
All of the display settings options have been locked down by the owner so maybe my blog just appears flawed on this particular machine.
I have been playing around with thumbnails and photos and wondered if this might have contributed to the problem, but as you're telling me it looks okay to you I'll wait until I get to another PC to double check.
Anyway, just to make sure we are talking about the same thing, the problem I see is that the blog title appears fine, and then there is a large area of blank space before the blog entry itself begins about halfway down the page.
Thanks again for your help so far.
I believe he must be using IE, as I'm seeing the same thing in my IE. I remember this had happened before during the development stage of the blog feature. Apparently, there was a problem with the CSS and Peter (or was it Sander?) managed to fix it.
Sounds like a CSS issue which has to do with Internet Explorer (typical for an inferior browser like Explorer actually ).
I am pretty sure it should be working in 6.0 though, so I'll have Peter check as I don't have a PC available...
For those using an up to date browser it looks fine!
Ok, I found the problem; typically, it's an IE bug.
The thing causing the problem was the link in that entry, which is wider than the box it is contained in (and because there are no spaces in it, it can't break the box). In Firefox, a scrollbar appears to deal with it (which is what we told it to do). IE just ignores all conventions and decides to try expand the box, causing these problems.
Anyway, there is a nasty hack using some proprietary IE code to work around it which I've applied, so it should look fine now.
Though personally, I'd also advise you to shorten the URL displayed. You can do so by using some different text between the [url] tags. If that makes sense..
Sorry for the rambling
thanks for leaping to the rescue once again! Advice heeded - in future I shall keep my URLs to a sensible length so as not to upset (censored) IE.
I'll try not to bother you chaps again for a while now...
No problem. And thanks for bothering us. It helped to fix something that undoubtedly would creep up again in the future.