I'm going to Amsterdam with my father and my brother on late October. I've never been there, and I'm starting to do some serious research on places to go and see.. (i know it's a bit on advance, but I can't help my anxiety)
I have a few questions I was wondering if any of you guys could help, considering we're talking about a low-budget trip round Europe.
- 2-3 is enough to see Amsterdam?
- neighborhoods - where to stay?
Tips are welcome.
Thx a lot!
As always, the answers to your questions depend on the kind of tourist you are. However, some general answers:
- even if you only want to do the touristic higlights, I'd say that 3 days is not enough. Plan 4, or better yet, 5 if you can spare the time. visit www.iamsterdam.nl for tourist information.
- Amsterdam has a LOT of interesting museums, and is a good place for architecture buffs. If you happen to take an interest in architecture, visit ARCAM for tips and itineraries. http://www.arcam.nl
- you travel in low season, which is good because prices are much lower than in summer. Even so, better book your accommodation in advance. Most hotels are located in the centre, with some not-so-cheap outliers in the south and west. Check www.hostelworld.com for details.
if you have more specific questions, don't hesitate to contact me directly at -snip. best regards,
[ Edit: No personal e-mail addresses in the forums please! Spam bots love them...try the mc centre instead ]
I am just back on Friday from 2.5 days in Amsterdam.
In those 2.5 days I managed to see
1. The Zoo
2. The markets
3. Shopping areas
4. The Canabis museum
5. The red light district
6. Walked around quite a lot of the city
I couldn't see much else that I would have liked to have seen but I have more interest in weed and shrooms than Architecture and art
I stayed in Hotel Kooyk which is a budget hotel but I would definitly recommend it if you wanna save money that way.
[ Edit: Edited at Apr 3, 2006 6:09 AM by robbo_gsi ]
I was in Amsterdam for the first time in december and loved it, and am going again in June. Some of my favourite things were:
Van Gogh Museum (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)
Anne Frank House (If you are in to that, it was a bit creepy)
Red Light District (obviously)
There is also a sex museum which was pretty funny, but not on the top of my list of places to go. There are some nice gardens there too and a couple big museums that I didn't want to go to because I was all museumed (i invented a new word!) out. So I spent most of my few days just hangin out and smokin weed ;-)
If you're looking for cheap hostels there are tons. I stayed at Bobs youth hostel for 10 euros a night... It was not the most beautiful hostel in the world but there are lots of cool people there and you get a couple eggs and toast in the morning. Also there is a hostel called the flying pig which is where I think I am going to stay this time.
The way to check out amsterdam is either to walk all day or rent a bike and bike around everywhere... because bikes rule that town, its amazing
hope this helps
[ Edit: - ]
Amsterdam has so much to see. Its one of my fav cities and i dint even smoke weed or enjoy the red light district.
Van Gogh is a must!
Vondelpark is great too. its in the south west part of the city
Rijksmusuem is nice for more 17th century art
the royal palace (Koninklijk Paleis)
Iv stayed on the flyin pig twice. its not a bad hostel but wouldnt recommend for a family.
indeed.. rent a bike!
altough, it can be quite dangerous but it's one of the best ways to experience holland and amsterdam, and so much easier than a car in amsterdam
and i think you can see quite a lot in 3 days, it depends what you want to see and do i guess