Skip Navigation

Traveling to Australia from USA

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Traveling to Australia from USA

1. Posted by wjonesasu (Budding Member 4 posts) 10y

Question: I am from the USA 23 years old and looking to visit Australia for 6-12 months, along with this visit I am also looking to work. My problem is finding the correct visa through the Australian Govt. site, any suggestions?

2. Posted by ahleeseeah (Budding Member 44 posts) 10y


3. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4933 posts) 10y

That one is unfortunately not available for people from the USA though.

I know there is a similar (extremely limited) visa that allows Americans to work once for a maximum of three months and stay in the country for a maximum of six months (if I recall correctly, actual details may differ), but that's only available through an american organization, not straight from the immigration website. I wish I remembered the name of that, but alas... (Undoubtedly someone else will know though.)

4. Posted by Sander (Moderator 4933 posts) 10y

Ah, this seems to be it: Bunac's Work Australia. It only allows you to stay and work for four months, but they explicitly say that after that period you can apply to have your status changed to visitor, allowing you to travel around for a further three months (albeit not being allowed to work).

Definitely not as good as regular working holiday visas (blame your government's complete unwillingness to sign working holiday agreements with other countries), but still pretty decent.

5. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

The visa you are looking for is a 416 special program visa. As Sander correctly pointed out you have to go through Bunac or Work and Travel Company to get it, You can work for four months max. Other than that its visitor visa only for you.

NZ has a full working holiday visa