I am going on a graduation trip this June with two friends and wish you could provide some advice or dos and don'ts for us.
Our trip would last for a period slightly less than a month, from 25 Jun to 24 Jul and we are planning to go both the west and east coasts.
Here is a rough guide to our travelling plan:
6/25-6/28 Los Angeles
6/29-7/3 San Fran
7/4 - 7/5 Las Vegas
7/6 - 7/8 Grand Canyon
7/9 -7/10 Disneyland
7/11-7/12 Washington DC
7/13 - 7/21 New York
7/22 - Los Angeles
7/23 - End of trip
1) Is our planned schedule okay?
2) We plan to rent a car during out stay on west coast, but both my friend and I are under 25 and we are used to right-hand drive. Any tips on driving or traffic rules that we should take note of?
3) Any places of interest that you suggest we could visit in the above list?
4) Any recommendations on cheap accomodation?
Thanks in advance and sorry for all the inconvenience caused.
Your trip should be perfect, but there are a couple of things scheduling wise that I would reconsider.
1. Hit disneyland while your in LA, unless you mean Disney World in Florida. Driving from the grand canyon back to LA for disneyland, when your planning on being in LA earlier anyway, will only cost you more in excess travel.
2. Going from LA to SF by car will take between 7-10 hours. I recommend taking highway one, which is way longer, but follows the coast and really shows the beauty of California.
3. Again, by car the trip to Vegas from SF is much longer then that from LA to Vegas. SF to Vegas is roughly 9 hours, LA to Vegas is 2 1/2.
4. Fly to NY, having a car in that city will be a huge pain. Rent a car on your way out and drive to DC. Fly from DC back to LA.
5. You won't see everything in DC in a day or two.
6. Driving shouldn't be a problem, true LA is tough, but freeways make up most of the drive time. You'll get the hang of it.
7. Drive to Orange County, see all major beaches.
8. Many socail scenes in SF, for your age I'd hit the Marina or North Beach. I'm 23 and have a blast in SF.
Thats all I got for you...Enjoy
Thank you so much for your advice. I'll take note of it! =)
Agreeing with the previous poster, DC cannot be all done in 1 to 2 days, but if you can commit 2 full days to DC, you can see the major sights. They have a nice double decker bus (should be perfect in July) that will take you around to all the great sights in DC. If you can take a day away from NYC, I would do that.
My two favorite places on the East Coast are Wash, DC and Boston, MA. You have to see NYC while you are here, cause it is like nothing you have ever seen. Me, being from Boston, only 4 hours away, still am awstruck by the size of NYC. But it is alot of hustle and bustle. If you can spare 2 days from your 8 days in NYC, I would recommend a road trip to Boston. Lot of history of America and old places to visit(well, old to us Americans, 200 years) and quite a beautiful city too.