Skip Navigation

new zealand (speeding fine)

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific new zealand (speeding fine)

1. Posted by toondoug (Budding Member 6 posts) 10y

toondoug has indicated that this thread is about New Zealand

after visiting new zealand over xmas and the new year it seems i broke the speed limit in a camper van, on my return to the uk ive received a fine for over £100, should i pay up? will they come and get me? has this happened to anyone else ? what did you do? help please

2. Posted by Kathi20 (Respected Member 270 posts) 10y

If u wanna come back to NZ pay your fine

(but first check, that it was really u who as speeding etc., bec my partner lent a mate his car, he was driving too fast, then went back to CAN and my partner had heaps problems with the police, until everything was sorted)

If you don't pay it, they usually get u as soon as u set foot in NZ, I guess they just make u pay then and probably add another fine or so...

so u r betta off paying it

Moreover wouldn't u be able to sleep better? *g*

take care

3. Posted by toondoug (Budding Member 6 posts) 10y

thanks kath i had a great time in n/z but wont be going back i getting to old and its to far

4. Posted by kiwisteve (Budding Member 24 posts) 10y

Hi There ,
Yes I agree with the previous posting , pay up if you intend to return here . But you could also write a letter of explanation , stating you are a tourist and may have accidently missed a local
speed sign . you just never know they might consider wiping it .
It will possibly depend on how far over the speed limit it was !


5. Posted by Jase007 (Travel Guru 8870 posts) 10y

Write them a bleeding hearts letter.
If you have no proof i.e. a photo of the offence - request one.
if you don't intend to go back there isn't a problem unless you want to hire a car with the same hire firm , that may be a problem if they have to stump up for it.

6. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

If you don't pay and the campervan company has your credit card you will find that they can legally debit the amount from your card. But definitely ask for proof and not just a letter from the van company. The actual ticket and/or the photo.

7. Posted by toondoug (Budding Member 6 posts) 10y

thanks for the replies everyone , still not sure what to do ,the campervan co tore up my c/c slip when i returned the van so am ok there ,i wont be going back , so was just wondering what their next step would be . they (cops) seem pretty heavy on speeding but driving with no insurance is leagal ,dosent seem fair does it ?