Skip Navigation

need help finding work!!

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific need help finding work!!

1. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 10y

This thread is marked as being about Australia

Hello my name is Jennifer and I from California and I needed some help. I very badly want to go to Austrailia and work on a farm or ranch for a couple months. I've been looking on the internet and still haven't found anything. I think I would want to go for 9-12 months. Could anyone help me out? any information would be helpfull. Thanks!!!!!

2. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

Hi Jenifer,

being from the USA you are not eligible for a 12-month working holiday visa. You have to come here on a special program visa which can only be issued by "certain" companies that have govt approval to do so. This is one of them; they also run a farm training program and guarantee you outback ranch type work for up to 12-months. Trouble is that you have to pay for the training etc. I'm familiar with the place and they are very good.

Hope this helps.

3. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 10y

oh and I was hopeing to get work in south australia

4. Posted by herront (Budding Member 45 posts) 10y

but hey you shouldnt give up on trying, there must be a way round it somehow! im off to Oz in July which i cant wait for.. im going to stay in Sydney. Why not try emailing companies and see about sponsorship or like he said above. Try the farm training program, even though it costs money to do it... If you really want to go just go for it

5. Posted by mista2kool (Budding Member 40 posts) 10y

I was on a trip with the university I am at here and we went to a shee dairy farm. The owners said they would always consider hiring someone who just wandered over and asked nicely. They actually hired a guy from our group to help out after he is done his semester here.
Theres a good chance you can get lucky just like that...

6. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 10y

yeah I would definitely love to just find a farm or ranch and ask for work but there's the whole visa thing, thats a pain.:(

7. Posted by Wiakk (Budding Member 20 posts) 10y


With the visa thing, from what I know you're only allowed to work at a particular place for 3 mths.
But that doesn't mean that you can stop work altogether.
I know a girl from Holland who worked in one place 3mths, and then moved to another.
So perhaps this would be ideal... you could work on a farm for 3 mths then travel to another. That way you get to see more Australia.

And try a company called "WOOFING"
I can't remember what it stands for, but it's people working on farms in return for accomodation and food.

I'd try either googling it or just type

Goodluck! Have fun! It's a great country!

8. Posted by Wiakk (Budding Member 20 posts) 10y

I just searched woofing for you...

it's actually "wwoofing"

More info: