Skip Navigation

Travelling to US with a criminal record in the UK

Travel Forums North America Travelling to US with a criminal record in the UK

1331. Posted by wisernow (Budding Member 2 posts) 42w

A big Thank you Wiserwithage for sharing your experience already mentioned
It was very well written..

It has helped me look at my situation with a different prospective entirely.....

Cheers to all who contribute...Terry and Travelman99 in particular...

[ Edit: Edited on 28-Apr-2016, at 01:24 by wisernow ]

1332. Posted by miniyates20 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 42w

I would like to know, what happens if you receive a non recorded criminal record for not paying a TV License will you be able to travel to the USA. Please let me know.

1333. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 41w


1334. Posted by travelman99 (Full Member 160 posts) 41w

That doesn't exist - a non recorded criminal record is an oxymoron. The clue is in the name...

I expect you got a fine and that's it. Unless you were arrested, interviewed under caution and either formally cautioned or convicted, then this is a non issue.

1335. Posted by Andyf (Moderator 710 posts) 41w

You can legally enter the USA but you won't be allowed to watch TV there.

1336. Posted by sinnaman (First Time Poster 1 posts) 41w

Hey everyone,

I'm going to post this here as I found no better place to put it, didn't want to make a new thread and clutter up your forums. Please forgive me if this is the wrong place for this.

Back story, approx 10 years ago I was young and dumb, decided to do some stuff for quick cash, which I eventually got caught for. Three times in total. The crime, you ask? Trafficking mediocre amounts of light drugs (chad). I had two relatively short jail sentences (1-3mo), once in my home country, and another in a neighboring country.

I attempted applying for a VISA a couple years later and was denied on the grounds of my actions being of "moral turpitude", and told to "try again later".

My question; is there any chance I can get a visa application approved if I try again, 10+ years after the crimes in question (I've had a squeaky clean way of life since, not as much as a parking ticket), or should I expect to be denied for life?

The reason I ask is because I read on the Canadian embassy websites that I could be approved for a visa 10 years after a completed sentence (which AFAIK may be incorrect).

[ Edit: Edited on 03-May-2016, at 05:56 by sinnaman ]

1337. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 41w

Go for it.


1338. Posted by (First Time Poster 1 posts) 41w

Hi Everyone,

Looking for some advice as I believe my situation may be slightly different that most.

Around 4-5 years ago I was convicted in the UK of assault. I was ordered to pay a fine and compensation to the victim (broken glasses).

I was travelling to US just over 2 years ago and was worried about not getting into the country as the assault case was relatively recent, so to save worry and hassle I applied for a visa. This was granted after a brief interview in Belfast, however it was made clear that rather than the normal 10 year visa they would serve, they were going to offer me a 2 year visa instead.

This visa is now expired and I was looking to travel to the US next month on business. These convictions are not ones I would like to expose to my current employer and with current turn around time its looking likely that I would be unable to get the visa approved in time anyway.

As I have already been granted a visa initially and been in and out the country multiple times since, can I travel on an ESTA without renewing the visa? Or would this flag up when going through border control?

Just to note: there have been no other issues with the police since the visa was issued.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated

1339. Posted by CheersT (Travel Guru 2488 posts) 41w

You're already in the system. You'll get flagged. Do the paperwork.

Good luck.


1340. Posted by travelman99 (Full Member 160 posts) 41w

Agree with Terry

Beating the tar out of someone (with glasses as well??) is a very minor crime in the US, it's seen as a lesser crime than smoking a jointing or being caught with minimal quantities of schedule 2 drugs, mainly because it's not a CIMT.

Therefore, you're best going down to the embassy and doing it properly - and you'll get one on the day as you're not inadmissable.