I have been building information from the SEA LP book and at travellerspoint over the past week trying to put together a rough itinerary for my trip to SEA. I have not found many 3 month itinerary's online so I thought I would post mine. I also have a couple questions following my itinerary.
I am going on this trip for 97 days in between graduating from university and starting work on September 1st. What I want out of the trip is a relaxing adventure. In Canada I snowboard, mountain bike, go on multiday hikes in the Rockies and generally would consider myself pretty adventurous. What I don't want out of the trip is a whirlwind tour. I would prefer to eliminate some legs of my trip to be able to relax and really experience the countries and cultures I do visit.
With that in mind here is my rough itinerary that includes Thailand, Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia. I eliminated Myanmar only because of time limitations.
Let me just say that this itinerary was made while procrastinating to study for an Economics exam. I just want a rough idea before I leave.
May 11 - Arrive in Bangkok - Board an overnight bus to Surat Thani (I already booked this through Traveller 2000)
May 12: Bus to Krabi or Phuket (Depending on where some friends from home are)
May 13 - 16: Krabi - canoeing to islands and relaxing on the beach
May 17 - 20: Koh Phi Phi
May 20 - 28: Koh Sak National Park and Learning to Dive on Koh Tao
May 29 - June 4: Koh Phangan - Full Moon Party, Beach Volleyball at Big Boom Bar
June 5: Bus or Train back to Bangkok
June 6: Day Trip to Ayuthaya
June 7 - 9: Phitsanulok and Sukothai
June 10 - 11: Mae Sot
June 12 - 14: Mae Sariang
June 15 - 19: Chiang Mai - Hill trek tribe, markets, cooking class
June 20 - 23: Travel to Tha Ton, take bamboo raft from Tha Ton to Chiang Rai
June 24 - 26: Cross border into Lao @ Chiang Khong, Travel by slow boat from Huay Xia down the Mekong to Luang Prabang
June 27 - 29: Luang Prabang
June 30: Take Rte. 13 to Vang Vien
July 1 - 2: Vang Vien
July 3- 5: Vietnaie
July 6: Fly to Hanoi
July 7 - 10: Halong Bay and Cat Ba Island kayaking trip
July 11 - 12: Perfume Pagoda and Hanoi
July 13 - 16: Sapa, Bac Ha and Ba Be National Park
July 17: Overnight train or maybe flight to Hue
July 18 - 19: Hue
July 20 - 21: Bac Ma
July 22 - 24: Danang and Hoi Ann
July 25 - 29: Nha Trang - Diving, Kite surfing
July 30: Dalat - Canyoning
July 31: Bus, Train or Plane to Saigon
August 1: Saigon
August 2: Cu Chi Tunnels
August 3 - 5: Mekong Delta
August 6: Boat or Bus to Phnom Penh
August 7: Phnom Penh
August 8 - 9: Sihanoukville and Bokor or Stay in Phnom Penh ( This is where the trip feels especially whirlwind)
August 10 - 11: Siem Riep and Angkor Wat
August 12: Fly Siem Riep to Bangkok
August 13 - 14: Bangkok
August 15: Fly Home
I have a couple of questions:
1. Does this itinerary seem rushed?
2. I am thinking about skipping Danang, Hoi Ann, Bac Ma and Hue and flying from Hanoi to Nha Trang to get a little bit more time for Cambodia. Would I miss out skipping these places?
3. Am I missing anything that would be a must see on a relaxing adventure?
4. Should I re-allot time from one area to another? (i.e. Northern Thailand to Cambodia)
5. Is anyone out there planning the same type of trip? I am traveling alone and would really enjoy the company. If you want check out my website @ www.fotki.com/joem to find out a little bit more about me...then send me a PM if you want to meet up. The only part of this itinerary that is fixed is the beaches part as I am meeting some friends from home down there.
6. Anything else you want to add.
Thank you very much for you help,
Anxious in Canada