Skip Navigation

need help! wanting to work in scotland

Travel Forums Europe need help! wanting to work in scotland


Last Post

1. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 10y

jenny87 has indicated that this thread is about Scotland

Hi my name is Jennifer and I am 18 and from California. I am living in Holland for the moment but last week I was in Scotland for 9 days and I fell in love with the place. I am not happy being in Holland anymore and want to work in Scotland, in Edinburgh hopfully. So I was wondering if i needed a work permit or residents permit or something. I was hopeing to get a job in a hostel or something. I would rather not be bothered with permits because they're expensive. So could someone please help me out? Thanks!

2. Posted by georgeboyd (Budding Member 12 posts) 10y

Hi Jennifer, George here from Inverness in the Scottish highlands.

Jennifer, I know zilch about entry details but have accessed our Government website, and it tells me that -

"You asked if a national of United States needs a visa to come to the UK as a work permit holder for longer than six months.

Yes, you need a visa.

Please read the Guidance - Work Permits for more information. To apply for a visa you will need to fill in form VAF1 - non-settlement. If you are applying for a visit visa, or are a national of, or are normally and legally living in Netherlands, please make your application to Amsterdam. If you are applying to our visa section in Amsterdam, you can now make your application online though the visa4UK website."

You can get more info at:

This site tells you all you need to know.

It could be, of course, that like many countries, you can get a job here and there without worrying too much about legal procedures, but at the momennt, unauthorised immigrants to the UK are causing a real political stormn - and I note your home country is having the same problem.

Might be better, therefore, to do things by the book.

I can see how you might tire of Holland; the towns are beautiful and the people fantastic, but the countryside:) is a bit... well, boring.

Good luck.

3. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 10y

hey Jennifer
georgeboyd has good advice.

Im American livin in Scotland now and i can say its bloody hard. Nothin will be easy. If ur a student u can try BUNAC. Scotland also offers Visas if u complete a Scottish degree. The visa allows u to stay in the UK and work legally. Otehrwise its really quit hard.

Hostels may hire you part time but after 6 months ur tourist visa ends. So thats only good for a few mos. And Hostels wil only hire you usually if u stay there. and that is still illegal work and not advised.

So good luck!

4. Posted by t_maia (Travel Guru 3289 posts) 10y

If you can prove thatyou are a descendant of British or Irish emigrants to the US, you'll have a chance to apply for a special visa.

Have somebody at home go through your family records.

5. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5077 posts) 10y

Hiya Jenn -

I honestly think that it would be far too much trouble to try and get the necessary permits and visas. You should probably stick to coming here as a visitor. Unless you marry a Briton. I'm taken, but perhaps George from Inverness can oblige.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but best of luck to you anyway!


6. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 10y

So really would it be a big risk to just come over and work without a visa or anything?

7. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 10y

So really would it be a big risk to just come over and work without a visa or anything?

yeah it would, u may get lucky but its risky. Imagine a european tryin it in America - it would be so hard

8. Posted by jenny87 (Budding Member 13 posts) 10y

yes but I was wanting to work in a hostel and they have lots of other travelers working there, so maybe it would be lesss risky?

9. Posted by coldwarspy (Travel Guru 1108 posts) 10y

ah yeah u can try - or a pub is a good option! plenty in Edinburgh

but after 6 mos ur stuck thats all - i was talkin about legal work so u can stay longer. You cant leave after 5 mos and come back and get another 6 mos renewed, it wont work, the border chiefs will be mad! ;)

10. Posted by mikeyBoab (Travel Guru 5077 posts) 10y

It might not be easy to find work, you would essentially be an illegal immigrant. If caught, you would most likely be deported, which means you'll have problems if you ever want to return to the UK.

You could of course come to the UK on the Visa Waiver programme, which allows you to stay as a tourist for up to three months without a visa. Having said that, if you were coming for three months you would probably be detained at immigration and interrogated (Gestapo style) and if they're the least bit suspicious they won't let you in.

Obviously, it's up to you what you do, but I wouldn't take the risk. Why not return home to the states and work for a few months and save up enough to come back as a tourist?