Hi! Will be in Singapore (thanks to this forum, I finshed quite an itinerary for our free time!) this June but aside from Malacca, we were thinking of heading to Malaysia proper for a 2-day go around. My questions are:
1. Since we only have 2 days, which place(s) is good to look around in? Is a 2 day visit too short to have a good enough feel of Malaysia? Am having second thoughts that maybe KL is too metropolitan in a generic way? Any suggestions on what to do on a really short stay?
2. Any great bargain shopping spots you can recommend? (hehe, will absolutely limit shopping to one afternoon's activity)
Thanks a lot! :-)
A 2-day visit is ALWAYS too short to visit a country/place. But you can always make the most of the short time here.
1. KL is rather metropolitan, in a way but there's still plenty to do and lots of places to visit. Here are a few suggestions:
- The Petronas Twin Towers are a must-see (then again, KL is quite a small city, so wherever you are, you can def spot the towers). Visit the skybridge - which links the two towers at level 29. Limited tickets are issues (and it's free) from 8.30am onwards, on a first-come-first-served basis. The skybridge is open every day except on Mondays.
- You can check out the KL Tower - bird's eye view of the city. Admission is RM10.00 (I think)
- Royal Selangor Visitor Centre - check out the elaborate processes of pewter-making.
- Batu Caves - caves formed by massive limestone formations, you need to climb 272 steps to reach the caves and there is a Hindu temple here.
- National Museum (Muzium Negara)
- Central Market - great shopping place for handicrafts, batiks, knick-knacks
- Petaling Street / Chinatown - great bargains, lots of fake goods, good food.
- Sungai Wang Plaza - Great bargain shopping spot
- Starhill - designer labels
- Suria KLCC (located at the foot of the Petronas Twin Towers) - many restaurants, designer labels, regular shops.
- Central Market (see above)
- Petaling Street/Chinatown (see above)
And Selamat Datang! Hope you have a smackin' good time in KL!
Hi, CH! Thanks for the advice-- and for your greenhut reco in a different thread. Looking forward to next week!
My pleasure.. Tell me how everything goes.
BTW, does anyone know if there are available tour groups/guides upon reaching Malacca? And prices if possible. Or if it's easy enough to go around on foot by ourselves with some tour map we can proably buy?