Skip Navigation

Working Holiday Visa

Travel Forums Australia / New Zealand & The Pacific Working Holiday Visa

1. Posted by sloopy81 (Budding Member 3 posts) 10y

Hey guys, I just have a question about the Working Holiday Visa. I am 24 yrs old, German Citizen but live currently in the US ( have a greencard). I think I should be able to get a working holiday visa because I am still German Citizen with German passport,or?
Next question, I have a german nursing degree and wanted to work as a caregiver or maybe nurse in a nursing home in Australia.I know I have to get my skills assessed, but I wanted to know if I am able to get my skills assessed while I am in Australia or if I have to get it assessed before they grant my visa?
And my last question is,am I able to stay with friends while I have a working holiday visa?

I hope somebody can help me. I would appreciate it!

Thank you!

2. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

Hi Sloopy,

As a German Passport holder you can apply for a working holiday visa from anywhere in the world, except of course Australia. Regarding your skills: is the national organisation that does the assessment of overseas qualified nurses or midwives; however, only if you are applying for permanent residency. On a working holiday visa you get local approval depending on which state you are in. So in other words if you decide to work in New South Wales you apply to the NSW nursing registration dept / org / whatever. You can get the skills assessed inside or outside of Australia.

Hope this helps.


3. Posted by majito (Respected Member 442 posts) 10y

And you can live wherever and with whomever you choose on a working holiday visa.

4. Posted by sloopy81 (Budding Member 3 posts) 10y

Hey Majito, thank you for your help.
There are a couple more questions I have and everytime when I try to call the embassy nobody answers or its busy for hours.
I just went to Sydney 5 weeks ago, I have a normal visitor visa which is valid until next year april. Am I able to apply for Working Holiday Maker Visa or will it get complicated??
I have a 3 yr german nursing degree and would like to work for 3 months as a nurses aid or general caregiver in a hospital to become a general overview of nursing procedures in an Australian hospital and to gain work experience as well before I try to get registered with the Australian Board of Nursing. I know I have to get a chest xray done. Do I have to get it done before I enter Australia or am I able to get it done while I am there? If I have to get it done before I enter Australia would I be able to go to my own doctor or do I have to go to their panel doctors.
I know I need AUD 5000..can I bring it in cash in or do I need a bank account??
I hope someone can help me!


5. Posted by steen1976 (Budding Member 26 posts) 10y

Hi Sloopy,

Are you still in Australia? If not then I don't think there should be a problem applying for your working holiday visa the other would just be cancelled when you arrive. I stand to be corrected on that mind.

Regarding the chest x-ray - my girlfriend who works in the healthcare industry had to get this done. She applied for the visa via their dept of immigration website and it instructed her to get the x-ray done at one of their appointed centres in the UK. So basically, you apply, get the x-ray done and they send off the results and then your application can be completed.

Regarding the 5000 bucks - I've not heard of one person who has been asked to prove this. All they are bothered about is you having the money to get out of the country and you initial stay so just get a return ticket. If you are going to bring it though I'd make sure it was in a bank account!