Skip Navigation

Where do I start??

Travel Forums Round the World Travel Where do I start??

1. Posted by kellyb78 (Budding Member 58 posts) 10y

Hi everyone,
I finally took the bull by the horns and asked my boss for a career break for a year and they have agreed!!
The problem I have now is that I don't know where to start! I want to def visit OZ, NZ, Mexico, US and Canada and I plan to work my way around! Do I have to apply in advance for a working Visa in all of the Countries I want to visit or do I apply for them as I go? I'm looking to go early Oct so I don't have very long to sort it all out! Can anyone give me some advice on where to start, what companies are best to go through, or advise me on the little things that novice travellers may like me may overlook?
All help and advice is much appreciated!!


2. Posted by Lush88 (Full Member 66 posts) 10y

Thats great you have the chance to go on your big OE!!! Give this site a go its a good search engine with loads of links to relevant sites to get you started.

All the best...enjoy...

3. Posted by zellyuk (Budding Member 22 posts) 10y

hi kellyb78,
this may sound like the most obvious answer, but id try STA travel or similar places. when i was booking my rtw trip STA travel were so helpful and gave me all the advice i needed on visas and places to go. good luck plaaning ur

4. Posted by Scrotum (Budding Member 23 posts) 10y

Do I have to apply in advance for a working Visa in all of the Countries I want to visit or do I apply for them as I go?


Some countries do not look upon you with loving eyes if you arrive at the country expecting to get a Working Visa. (That would mean you could go as a Chinese and just take a job in Europe or in the States, no, it does not work like that).

In Australia you can as a British citizen apply for a working visa online (, very easy and good, if your not a convict and dont have HIV, you get it, no problem there.

For New Zealand you can get a working holiday visa (similar to the one for Australia), and i even managed to get the page for you here (

For the United States you can get something called a NoneImmigrant Visa which allow you to work for a certain perid of time. WARNING!! The US TAKE IT VERY SERIOUSLY THAT YOU NEED TO APPLY FOR A VISA BEFORE ENTERING.(Check this out: So you would have to go to the embassy in the UK and solve everything first.

Canada i have no knowledge about, but i suspect much easier then the States.


5. Posted by leah4_11 (First Time Poster 1 posts) 10y

I don't know how much this will help, because i only know information for Australian citizens, but i applied for a Canadian Work Visa at

Post 6 was removed by a moderator