Hi everyone. This is my first time on the forum. I will be travelling through China and SE Asia (Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, Malysia, Singapore and Bali) for 3 months from August to December.
I am finding out what the general concensus is on the Jap B encephalitis jab. I spoke to the nurse at the Travel Clinic at the Hospital for Tropical Diseases who said there is a 1:5000 chance of catching this in high risk areas unvaccinated and a 1:4000 chance of side-effects from the vaccine. With this info I decided not to get the jab but now I am having second thoughts. Would bug repellent and nets be enough to reduce the risk?
I would be grateful for members thoughts.
The decision of course is yours, but I wouldn't want to take the risk,some of those tropical diseases are very hard to get rid of,some stay forever, why spoil a trip with the worry, get the jab and relax, that's my advice.
I wouldn't bother to be honest. I haven't had it for my trip to SE Asia for similar reasons; the chance of catching it are minute. Save the cash and go for rabies instead
i had the choice and decided to hav it.. not worth the risk, im off to exactly the same places as you are!!
In my opinion its not worth risking your one and only life over
just puttin it into perspective for ya
According to my travel clinic you only need to have Jap if ALL of the following apply:
1)You will be living in rural regions for periods greater than 1 month
2)There are pigs in that area
3)There are mosquitos
If all three do not apply then its generally not worth it. The vaccine is not licenced in the UK but you can still get it. There are many side effects and after being administered with it you must be observed for 40 mins before leaving the clinic/doctors.
The chances of getting it are very small. It's a personal choice, personally I didn't get it and went for rabies instead.
I am of to SE Asia this summer as well and i decided to get the jab though the chances of contracting the disease is quite small. I have had no side effects at all from it and i haven't heard the one about having to be observed for 40 min after getting it. The jab lasts fot three years, so if you're planning on more travelling i don't really think it's a lot of money to give out on something that could save your life if you're unlucky.
not a lot of debate in my mind... a few dollars for prevention or risking a disease which could kill or cripple you for life. I agree I'd probably opt for rabies first (but I get it for non travel reasons) but if you can afford both I'd certainly do it. Rabies and HIV are the only 100% lethal viruses in the world.
i had the jab, but only because i live in the region, and travel to very remote areas for my research. most travellers would never enter areas where they will be at risk of contracting jap. enc. i know when u read the literature on it, it is certainly very freaky, but almost certainly u won't even come into contact with such mosquitos. best bet is just to be extra cautious at dusk & dawn & always chosse accommodation with mosquito nets and/or air con (which most will offer)