We will be in Australia from Saturday evening (May 29th) until Sunday morning (June 6th). We are flying into Sydney and have a reservation at a Sydney hotel (through priceline) from May 29th until June 3rd. What do you recommend we do while in Sydney? Are we staying too long in Sydney? Where do you recommend we go besides Sydney? Thanks
Wow, what to do in Sydney! Well to start there's (obviously) the Sydney Harbour which is great to take a boat ride on which should fit the honeymoon criteria!
You could also climb the bridge which is a pretty popular activity. I've never done it, but that was because I was on a strict budget the last time I was down there- I'd definately give it a go for the view on my next visit
Then there's Bondi for a beach and markets on weekends which is a nice way to spend the day!
Not sure what kind of things you would be interested in doing, but certainly beaches are good (Manly, Bondi).
- To get to Manly Beach, you can catch the ferry from the harbour and spend some time soaking up the sun there! It's a pretty nice ferry ride.
- You can take a nice stroll through the Botanical Gardens one day.
- You could visit some of the Museums and galleries there - Art Gallery of NSW and Museum of Contemporary Art would be the bigger ones to check out.
- You can take a day trip (or a few days) out to the Blue Mountains - I haven't been there, but I hear nothing but nice things about it.
- You could head up the coast somewhat to Byron Bay as well (more beach culture there).
- The markets as suggested are a good idea. Paddington Market is a good one on Saturdays.
For up to date listings on events, etc you should have a look at
Have a great trip!
I recommend visiting all the markets, but only if you enjoy it. There's this all day pass that you can buy for about $13.50 Au and you can travel on the ferries, buses and trains, so if you buy it, plan out your day first. When I was in Sydney (stayed in YHA central) I managed to go to the paddington markets in the morning by bus, took the bus to circular quay, took the ferry to manly, taken the train a few times, took the ferry to darling harbour and to one of the other stops right next to darling harbour, but I forgot its name and then taken the ferry to homebusy bay to the olympic stadium. So it was well worth it!!!
I also recommend going to the information centres and getting some brochures. Like Peter said blue mountain sounds good. I was planning to go, but never got around to it. I don't recommend going to the chinese gardens because the time I went, it was around about this time and there was nothing much to see. I would think that spring would be the best time to go to the chinese gardens. There's another market right next to the chinese gardens, next to chinatown. It's the paddy's market, and there are so much stuff(junk/souvenirs) that you can buy. Oh!!! I just remembered that there's another market on the rocks. Definately go to The Rocks it's so cool.
You should also go up the coast too if you can, it's warm there in the winter and the beaches are beautiful. I think it's whale season now. Anyway. Congratulations on your marriage and I hope you two have a great time in Aussie. Oh, and maybe try to go to the west coast, I heard it's pretty good there too!!!